Not always the dog’s refusal to eat has threatening reasons, often the reason for weight loss is the inattention of owners or their careless attitude to feeding the dog.
We establish the causes of thinness
How well an animal eats depends on its health and longevity. Sometimes loving owners feed their Pets, and then struggle with excess weight. But it also happens that they suddenly find weight loss without any noticeable reason, so they worry about why the dog is losing weight.
There are several reasons for this condition, and not all of them are related to diseases and dangerous problems. However, nutritional disorders lead to malnutrition, and therefore to a shortage of useful vitamins and minerals, nutrients. And this already threatens the General weakening of the body, reduced immunity and the development of many diseases.
Therefore, you need to respond to weight loss as quickly as possible and identify its cause. It can be included in the following list:
- If the dog loses weight quickly but eats well, this may indicate an increase in its food needs. If a dog is actively growing, moving and spending energy a lot, is pregnant or is feeding puppies, its usual food may not be enough to cover the increased calorie consumption.
- When the dog has lost a lot of weight, and its appetite is good, this may indicate that its food is not high in calories. By volume, it can eat a lot, but in fact the food is “empty”.
- It is much more dangerous if the dog has become lethargic and lost weight. This condition may indicate the presence of a disease. It can be anything. A virus in the blood, a cold, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, worm infestations, a foreign body in the intestine, tumors of various origins, and other diseases can provoke a decrease in body weight.
- The dog often refuses food if you change the usual diet. When switching to another feed, the animal may not perceive it and not eat at all until it is returned to the usual (or favorite) food.
- As in humans, the most common thing in dogs is a decrease in interest in food during and after illness. A sick animal may refuse to eat for several days, and this is within the normal range. It is important that the dog drinks water — dehydration, especially during illness and starvation, is extremely dangerous.
- When a dog shows a lack of interest in food when poisoned, this is a normal reaction of the body, allowing it to clear itself of toxins. The task of the host is to start giving food in small quantities, in mashed or crushed form, to allow the stomach to get used to the normal process of digestion. You should only use high-quality dog food.
- Weight loss can also provoke health problems in older animals, such as dental diseases or inflammation in the oral cavity, stomach diseases, and so on.
If the dog is cheerful and cheerful, eats well, but does not gain weight, you need to deal with its nutrition and review its composition, volume, quality and calorie level. But when weight loss leads to exhaustion, the dog’s ribs and pelvic bones protrude, vertebrae, nausea and vomiting occur, the condition of the coat worsens — such dangerous symptoms should make the owner show his dog to the veterinarian.
In any case, you need to entrust treatment to a doctor and do not self-medicate, so as not to harm your beloved four-legged friend.
What not to do
If the dog has lost a lot of weight, it most likely indicates the presence of internal health problems. The pet should be treated by a specialist, and the owners themselves need to know what not to do in any case:
- Try to give the animal medicines, especially those intended for humans, without the permission of the veterinarian.
- Force the dog to eat forcibly.
- Increase the caloric content of food by increasing its fat content.
- Overfeed the dog.
- Use monotonous food, for example, to give the dog only meat in large quantities or for many years in a row to feed it the same dry food.
- Feed the animal too often.
The dog’s nutrition should be correlated with its age, gender, size, and energy loss. It must not only be varied within the limits acceptable to the dog (not ice cream and sweets with smoked fish and sausage!), but also balanced in terms of fat, protein and carbohydrates. Also, do not forget about the vitamins and minerals that are so important for your pet’s health.
When you need to fatten the dog
If the dog has lost weight, but eats well, you need to feed it harder, increasing the caloric content of food or its volume. Most often this happens after an illness or injury, and the animal quickly regains its condition. However, you need to make sure not to overfeed the dog, this can cause digestive disorders.
Food should be given frequently and gradually, increasing its volume gradually, allowing the weakened body to get used to food gradually.
Before the exhibition, the question often arises how to gain weight for a dog so that it adds a little “roundness” to its forms and looks more advantageous. During such periods, you need to increase the caloric content of food, for example, add more cereals to it, and slightly limit the activity of the animal.
This is a good way for a dog that is characterized by excessive energy and mobility, but you can not completely deprive it of movement, this will have a bad effect on both health and appearance.
If the dog is not gaining weight at all, you will have to completely change its menu. You need to track how quickly she eats her usual portion. If food is destroyed in 5 minutes — the dog is given little food, if it takes more than 20 minutes to eat — a lot.
Food should be balanced and matched to the breed and age of the animal. When the owner himself can not cope with such a task, a veterinarian will help him.
Thinness can be explained by the condition of the animal. If this is a nursing bitch with a large number of puppies, then the pet owner should feed her with lactation in mind.
A healthy adult animal is fed twice a day: in the morning and in the evening. Very large breeds of dogs can be fed once a day, and small indoor dogs are given food up to three times a day.
After the animal eats and moves away from the bowl, it is taken away, the remains are thrown away, and the dishes are washed and cleaned. Food should not be constantly in the direct access of the animal, it knocks down the regime and disrupts proper digestion. Ideally, feed your pet at the same time — it will develop a habit. Clean drinking water should always be freely available, especially in the hot season.
Having taken care of the correct and rational nutrition of your pet, the owner will not only save his good health, but also make the dog beautiful, strong, and looking great.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.