Indirectly, you can control the dog’s health, in particular, by the consistency and color of feces. Changes in color and density indicate a disease of the stomach, liver, gallbladder, or improper diet. Let’s look at the causes of white feces, which is not always a symptom of the disease.
Causes of color loss
Every person, even if they don’t have a pet, knows what color the dog’s feces should be. The elastic consistency and brown hue, which can change from light to dark, reflects the good functioning of the liver and gallbladder.
When something is wrong with the animal’s organs, the feces begin to lighten, and the urine becomes a rich dark shade. External signs of lightening of the stool:
- loss of appetite;
- manifestation of problems with the gastrointestinal tract (diarrhea, constipation, bloating);
- nausea and vomiting, regurgitation;
- yellowing of the mucous membranes and sclera of the eyes.
The dog may show anxiety, and when the first symptoms and changes in the dog’s behavior appear, observe it and its habits. If they have changed for no reason, perform a visual inspection of the animal.
“Shades” of white feces
Any change in color, the presence of inclusions, the appearance of mucus and plaque – a deviation in the work of the dog’s body.
The following types are distinguished by structure and color:
- Feces covered with a white coating, or crumbly white feces – an excess in the nutrition of bones, the possible appearance of parasites.
- Liquid white-gray or yellowish stool – an incorrect diet, a violation of the gastrointestinal tract.
- White mucus – a disease of the large intestine or the presence of worms, an excess of connective tissue in the body (after a large consumption of stringy meat).
- Sometimes in fecal masses of brown color, the owner may consider white inclusions. This may be pieces of undigested food or worms, if you have not done prevention for a long time.
Often, the process of fecal appearance is accompanied by sounds of gas escaping from the rectum.
Harmless causes of light feces
Very often, the reason may be harmless and will not require the owner to visit a veterinary clinic with the dog.
Reasons that you can get rid of without treatment:
- Animal consumption of food with a high fat content – lard, fatty meat, dairy products, cheese, pork. Animal fat is poorly absorbed and leads to lightening of feces.
- The constant power bones. Hard and sharp foods negatively affect the digestive tract and liver. If bones are constantly present in the dog’s food, the feces will be hard and white. After changing the diet for 3 days, the stool returns to its normal consistency and color.
- A long course of treatment with drugs that affect the liver. For the treatment of stomach diseases or diarrhea, animals are prescribed Smecta, Augmentin And other drugs. After the end of the treatment course, it is enough to add lactobacilli to the food, which will help the liver restore its protective functions.
- Dehydration – in addition to color loss, feces become dry.
Diseases that lead to the appearance of white feces
The scientific name of white feces is acholic, meaning “without a liver” in Greek, since it is responsible for staining feces. The main causes are diseases of the liver and gallbladder, the manifestation of early symptoms of which the owner did not pay attention.
The problem of white feces leads to:
- Gallstone disease – sand or stones in the gallbladder and/or its ducts. Sharp and uneven edges of stones injure the gallbladder mucosa, sometimes close the ducts and begin cholestasis (bile stasis).
- Malignant neoplasms – the presence of a tumor that has an oncological character, causes a violation in the work of the entire body, and first of all, the outflow of bile stops.
- Cholecystitis (Cholangitis) is an inflammation of the gallbladder and ducts. The dog has vomiting with a large amount of mucus. The vomit contains bile, which irritates the stomach lining and leads to flatulence, diarrhea and bloating. The animal becomes sluggish, moves apathetically, and often has a fever. Because of pain inside the abdominal cavity, it often lies on the stomach, arching its back.
- Liver cirrhosis is an intensive and irreversible replacement of healthy cells with fibrous tissue.
- Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver tissue. It appears together with diseases of the stomach and pancreas. In the body, there is a violation of protein, carbohydrate-fat and pigment metabolism, organ cells break down. The dog’s temperature rises.
- Cholangiohepatitis – inflammation of the liver and ducts simultaneously.
- Cysts – the appearance of operable benign formations that make it difficult for the normal operation of the organ.
- Bile duct deformity – changes in the normal shape or size of the gallbladder, adhesions. The disease is congenital or acquired.
- Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas.
The behavior of the owner – operational assistance
If you first saw a dog’s white feces, do not panic. Analyze all the reasons for its appearance and watch the animal for 2-3 days. If the dog’s feces do not change, and the behavior begins to cause concern, contact your doctor.
Before prescribing treatment, the veterinarian will ask you to conduct research on the animal:
- urine and blood to detect inflammatory processes and liver conditions, in complex cases, instead of a General study, a biochemical examination will be performed;
- fecal and biochemical analysis of urine to determine the state of the pancreas;
- if you suspect neoplasms – ultrasound of the abdominal cavity;
- x-ray of the liver or in some cases a biopsy.
According to the results of research, doctors prescribe treatment in several areas:
- Antibiotic Therapy (Trichopol, Cephalexin).
- Choleretic (Allohol, Holosas).
- The Hepatoprotectors (Hepatocel, Gepatovet).
- Obespechivaushyi and antispasmodics (no-Spa, Baralgin, Butorphanol).
- Enzymes (Mezim, CREON).
When confirming the presence of a cyst or cancer in the animal’s body, an operation is always performed.
Proper dog nutrition
Regardless of the reason why the animal has white feces, you need to change its diet.
It is forbidden to give the pet:
- homemade cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese;
- fat and lard;
- strong broths;
- raw vegetables and fruits;
- smoked sausages, sausages and sausages.
If the animal eats dry food, you can not buy cheap, which lacks the necessary trace elements to improve the functioning of internal organs.
You can’t buy cheap canned food for animals that contain a lot of low-quality offal.
It is important to include systematic consumption in the diet:
- Boiled lean meat – beef or Turkey, skinless chicken.
- Cereals (oatmeal, buckwheat, barley).
- Boiled vegetables (carrots, zucchini, cauliflower).
- Low-fat cottage cheese and kefir.
- Fish or beef broth.
Feed 5-6 times a day, in small portions, until complete recovery.
After surgery, especially if cancer was diagnosed, you need to pass a preventive examination and take tests once every 6 months.
All owners must strictly follow the vaccination schedule of the animal, provide full and timely nutrition to prevent the development of serious diseases.