Despite the fact that the Sphinx cat breed is already familiar to many, it has not become less exotic for people. There are three main types of sphinxes: canadian, don and St. Petersburg sphinxes.
Depending on the species, animals react differently to allergen substances, which are divided into food and non-food. Next, we will look at the food Allergy common in sphinxes, its causes, symptoms, and treatment.
The causes of food allergic reactions can be different factors:
- weakened immune system;
- the content in the feed dyes and additives that are not related to natural;
- use of antibiotics in treatment;
- the sensitivity of an organism to the medicinal herbal remedies;
- the body’s reaction to allergenic products;
- reaction to a glycoprotein or protein produced by the cat’s body (characteristic of don sphinxes);
- reaction to proteins or carbohydrates.
The main symptoms
The main symptoms include:
- itchy skin;
- red rash;
- red spots of various shapes;
- disorder of the digestive system;
- ulcers on the skin, mucous membranes, and oral cavity, accompanied by pain and itching;
- lesions on the abdomen and inner thighs in the form of oval red spots;
- plaque is a yellowish-pink color on the body or in the mouth;
- the animal scratches its ears and nose excessively;
- humidity of the armpits;
- changes in behavior: lethargy, drowsiness.
Diagnostics in a veterinary clinic
To accurately diagnose spots or rashes on the skin of an exotic animal, you need to take the cat to a veterinary clinic.
Before visiting the doctor, you need to prepare records with the dates of the appearance of painful signs and the nature of their manifestation, depending on changes in the diet or medication. This is important for determining the actual causes of the pet’s illness.
Food Allergy in cats is difficult to determine and it does not occur in one day: allergens need to accumulate in the body and only then begin to act. However, with repeated cases of allergies, the reaction will already be visible in a matter of minutes.
For diagnosis, methods are used that allow you to filter out non-food causes of allergies:
- A skin scraping to determine the microbial microflora.
- Blood test (if the rash was formed due to an insect bite, the analysis will show it).
- Allergic tests (can determine what the Allergy is, but not the allergen itself: possibly dust, medications, fleas, etc.).
- Appointment of special diagnostic nutrition for a period of up to 2 months to detect food allergen. Such nutrition introduces completely new products for the animal. During this period, deviations are not allowed, even in the form of a small piece of a familiar treat due to a possible error in the diagnosis.
Treatment method and prognosis
If instrumental and laboratory tests have not confirmed food allergies, then the doctor’s appointment usually contains:
- antimicrobial treatment (to ease the pet’s condition);
- compliance with special diagnostic nutrition.
If a food allergen is detected, it is necessary to review the diet of the Sphinx.
Treatment of food allergies is a long process, excluding relief. Compliance with the cat’s nutrition requirements must be observed throughout the animal’s life, avoiding the inclusion of an allergen in the diet.
What to do at home
According to the treatment and nutrition regimen prescribed by the doctor, it is necessary to start restoring the pet’s health.
Noting the sensitivity of sphinxes to various drugs, as well as food compounds of proteins and carbohydrates, you need to carefully monitor the pet’s skin. If you increase spots (rashes, ulcers, etc.), you should immediately contact the clinic to adjust the course.
When taking medications, pay attention to the dosage depending on the age of the animal. Overdose is not allowed.
Diagnostic nutrition should only be given in the combination indicated by the doctor. Deviations from the diagnostic diet are not allowed.
To eliminate the nervousness of the Sphinx due to the lack of Goodies, the need to use medicines, you should pay more attention to the animal, observe regular changes of drinking water and provide it with a warm sleeping place.
Due to the prevalence of allergic reactions in sphinxes, some owners neglect to go to the clinic, self-medicating the pet.
It should be remembered that all allergic animals are prone to the development of secondary inflammatory processes with the pathogen in the form of bacteria or fungi. In the absence of comprehensive treatment of the animal, organs and tissues are affected, and the pet’s condition worsens.
Depending on the severity of damage to the main organs, it is not always possible to save the pet.
Prevention measures include:
- food food of high quality for cats with sensitive digestion or anti-allergic food;
- special food for sphinxes;
- use of antihistamines (as prescribed by a doctor);
- high-quality cookware (exclude the reaction to the chemical smell of plastic);
- to scare the cat away from indoor flowers and lose its interest in eating plants, you can drop citrus oil into the flowers.
The peculiar appearance of sphinxes and their sensitivity to various substances (it can be the perfume of the hostess or a flower on the windowsill) makes the body vulnerable. All the reactions of the Sphinx are “written” on the skin.
Therefore, the care of an unusual pet provides primarily for the control of nutrition (and the Sphinx likes to eat) and skin condition. With proper care and attention to the animal, the pet will thank you with loyalty and natural warmth.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.