The notion that a dog and a cat are sworn enemies is perhaps one of the most common stereotypes about these animals. Do Pets really turn any space into a battlefield and mercilessly scratch and bite each other? Or can they not only get along quietly and without incident, but even take care of each other? The article will tell you why cats and dogs actually fight and how to prepare Pets for the appearance of a new tenant in the house.
Why are cats and dogs considered enemies?
Everyone knows the fairy tale of the English writer R. Kipling “the Cat that walked by itself”, where the cat and the dog are enemies. Here you can find a vivid description of the relationship between the two animals, and with the obligatory pursuit of the cat and its classic climbing a tree to protect itself from the dog-pursuer.
But in life, they do not need to share anything and fight, because a cat and a dog are just different, and they have different views on the world around them.
If the dog, like its distant relative – the wolf, is used to follow the leader and live in a pack to make it easier to protect its territory, the cat does not like the pack habitat, but prefers to stay alone – “by itself” and training is almost impossible.
And the situation repeats: the dog of the household takes as his flock and offers his company for games and walks together, and the cat does not like to be imposed upon their society and tries to protect the traditional way of life and territory. If it so happens that a cat and a dog should live in the house, we will consider how to teach them to peaceful coexistence later.
Pet reconciliation options
Let’s look at several options that may arise when four-legged Pets appear in the house.
1. the easiest option is when a kitten and a puppy are taken to the house at The same time:
In this case, small neighbors see each other as a friend with whom you can run, play, and after active competitions take a cozy couch, without knowing who its owner is. Going through similar stages of development, they learn the world together and become friends.
2. The option of the appearance of a kitten in a house where lives an adult dog will require training:
- the dog must be trained in the simplest commands “Fu”, “No”, “Stand”, “Lie” and also obey the owner without question. Obedience will be required when meeting a kitten if necessary to stop the aggressive reaction of the dog to the new tenant;
- previously, you can observe the behavior of the dog on the street when meeting cats and try to correct its behavior.;
- if friends have a cat in the house, then you can take a dog to visit them and watch its reaction. In the case of peaceful behavior, getting a purring pet is not dangerous at all;
- in any case, a large breed dog, even if it is very friendly, must be muzzled. This will protect the baby from accidental injury and will not allow you to cause harm when meeting;
- at the first meeting, the dog should also be put on a leash and run into the room where the new furry pet lives. If the dog does not bark fiercely, the kitten is allowed to approach, controlling the dog. If the dog’s reaction is hostile, it will take several days to put a muzzle on the dog and allow him to watch the cat from afar.
3. An option in which an adult cat lives in the house and a puppy appears:
- to prepare for the meeting, you can first, if the neighbors keep a dog, ask to introduce the Pets to study the reaction of the cat. In this case, you can not leave the animals alone – you will need control: if the cat reacts violently, it can damage the dog’s nose and eyes;
- to protect the puppy from being injured by cat’s claws, you can cut the cat’s claws for the first time when the animals get used to it;
- cats are afraid of dog barking. To make it easier for the cat to perceive these sounds and not see them as a danger to itself, you can record the barking, for example, on the phone. You need to play the recording every day for a few minutes so that the cat gets used to it and doesn’t get nervous.
4. An option in which an adult cat and an adult dog must live in the same house.
In this case, we recommend that you use caution:
- you should not rush to show the animals to each other, because an unexpected meeting can frighten them both and push them to a long-term feud. Let the first acquaintance take place at the level of smells: animals are settled in different rooms with closed doors, and then changed places, but also left with closed doors. After studying their smells, you can start a face-to-face acquaintance;
- at the first acquaintance, the cat is carefully raised to the level of the dog’s eyes, holding both the cat and the dog. In case of aggression – animals are bred in rooms, but the attempt is repeated again after a while. Until the Pets get used to each other, you can not leave them alone;
- when you meet a cat, you can put a muzzle on the dog. If the dog starts chasing the cat, then this attempt must be stopped by commands. If the dog calms down – encourage him with a treat;
- the cat should feel safe: have a nook to hide in a place inaccessible to the dog;
- it is unacceptable to push animals by force – there is no benefit from such an acquaintance, and a hostile attitude towards each other will be provided for a long time, in parallel with a stressful situation.
A universal recipe for a cat and a dog to adore each other is difficult to find – it will depend not only on the characters of the Pets, but also on the correct behavior of the owner of the house. The reconciliation process can last for different periods of time, usually from one to four months.
Important rules for keeping a cat and dog together
So, a second pet appeared in the house. Regardless of who it is – a cat or a dog – the owner will need calmness, balance, patience and compliance with simple rules:
- It is important to show the first (“eldest”) pet that the attitude towards him has not changed. Starting to stroke one pet, be sure to pay attention to the second one at this time, for example, to stroke them at the same time.
- In your attitude to the first animal, do not take the position of the guilty, do not try to correct the situation by spoiling it. It is necessary to focus on the two animals, on their training and communication, expressing confidence, calmness and love for them by their behavior.
- For food, there must be different bowls, you can not use one common dish for Pets.
- Depending on the behavior of the cat, it is necessary to make a decision about cutting the claws if they lead to injuries to the dog. If the nose is damaged, the dog experiences unpleasant painful sensations, and an eye injury can lead to blindness.
- It is necessary to monitor the health of Pets and promptly vaccinate them. Rabies is a common disease for them, animals can also be susceptible to skin diseases that pass from one pet to another, and there is also a risk of transmitting parasites, such as fleas.
- Pay equal attention to both Pets. Often the cat settles down next to the owner on the sofa or on his lap, at such a moment it is good to call the dog to him, so that he also feels attention, and does not feel a sense of jealousy, left alone on the couch.
- Arrange joint games so that Pets feel equal treatment. If a dog accidentally bites a cat in the game, you should not leave this behavior without taking action: the “no” command and short – term isolation of the dog in another room should indicate its wrong action. He will realize that he made the wrong actions and will be careful in the next game.
- When feeding, the dog eats all the food, and the cat leaves the food in the bowl to return to it when it gets hungry again. The dog, without any embarrassment, can finish the food and for the cat, which will be a problem for the cat. To solve this issue, it is enough to put the cat’s bowl in a place inaccessible to the dog, for example, choose a window sill for this purpose and first free it from things.
- Care for animals should be equal – this will eliminate jealousy and competition for the love of the owner.
A cat and a dog don’t have to be sworn enemies, contrary to the opinion of many. They may well become each other’s support and support. It is important to remember that further relationships between Pets depend not only on their character, but also on the care and efforts of the owner. After all, if you approach the feelings of your animals with patience and understanding, even the most wayward cat will truly love a naive puppy.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.