Cats are independent, freedom-loving animals. They know what they want, when they need affection and attention, and when they need privacy and calm.
So that the cohabitation of a person and a cat does not turn into chaos and mutual resentment, it is useful for people to learn to understand the principles of communication of cats, to know what their gestures mean, and what this beautiful and mysterious animal purrs about.
Body language: what your ears and tail will tell you
The main” speech devices ” in cats are ears and tail. These beacons can be used to determine the cat’s mood and predict some of its actions. If the pet is in a good mood, then its tail sticks out like a “pipe”. This means that the cat is ready to frolic, play, nothing bothers him.
If the tail twitches and the ears are pressed to the head, it means danger. First of all, for the owners, of course, because, perhaps, very soon the cat will go on the attack. But serious damage in most cases can be avoided: cats are not prone to gratuitous attacks on people. It’s more of a game than a serious desire to do harm.
Sometimes a cat can redirect aggression from external stimuli (a stranger in the house, foreign smells, etc.) to a person, in this case you just need to let the animal recover and calm down on its own.
In case of real danger, cats begin to hiss, Crouch to the floor, can release their claws and round their eyes. Scaring actions – flapping paws, spitting, readiness to run and hide. Peak of fear – back hump. The cat seems to be inflated: the hair stands on end, the eyes bulge. Such a pose says only one thing-the cat is confused, scared, it is threatened by something and it is ready to protect itself or run away.
Shades of cat voices
If the cat begins to often and a lot of voice-meow, then you can not ignore such speech attention. Maybe the cat is trying to tell you something. This behavior can alert both the General anxiety of the animal and its illness. There are also those cats that meow after separation from the owner – so they try to talk, tell the news and just share a good mood.
By intonation, pitch, and timbre, you can truly understand what the cat said. Here are some examples:
- short, clear “meows” mean something like: “Hello! Where have you been?”, and if the cat is a stranger “Let’s get acquainted»;
- if the meowing is coming from the chest, the sounds are loud and strangled, it means that the animal is offended, or complains of some discomfort: “Well, when will you get up from the computer and give me something to eat?!»;
- if the sounds described in the paragraph above turn into loud, heart-rending calls – then this is a serious matter, most likely, the cat is in pain;
- a cat experiencing fear, it is moving to higher tones;
- wild screams that sound more like sirens as the cat fights;
- purring lulling intonations mean: “I love you, scratch me behind the ear”. Cats purr when they fall asleep, and in moments of happiness. But, sometimes, this can be a harbinger of irritation and growling – for example, when a cat is held by force;
- there are also interrogative notes in cats, for example, they can be heard in the address of a mother cat to her kittens.
Cats are subtle psychologists
Sometimes it seems to us that we are the people who are so smart, well-read and understand everything. But it is worth looking at your pet, as some beliefs are easily dispelled. Cats can get their own way, can’t they?
A cat can purr loudly, meow, and look into the eyes with its honest child’s eyes, as the owner is ready to give it a forbidden treat, share his dinner, or pour an extra portion of delicious food.
And what are the cost of cat raids on furniture instead of scratching? Running around the apartment with a crash and falling objects? And all this in order to take a walk with the cat, play, pay attention to it.
Living next to a human saved cats from many problems, for example, they do not need to get food and defend themselves from strangers. Therefore, cats have acquired those behavioral features that are so loved by all cat owners: chest purring, the desire to RUB against the legs, pushing the head into the palm, arching the back with the tail raised up. These gestures tell us that a person for an animal is a close and native being.
Relationship between color and character
Professor Helmut Hemmer States that the character of a cat often coincides with its color. In his opinion:
- black cats are affectionate, curious, but a little nervous;
- black and white-sociable, great friends for children, very attached to their owners;
- striped-closed, sometimes avoid communication, very freedom-loving, independent;
- redheads, white-redheads are real homebodies, they need peace;
- white-capricious and touchy creatures, but wonderful by nature.
What will the view tell you?
Cats don’t really like eye-to-eye contact. This applies to both humans and other members of the cat family. In difficult situations, with danger or the approach of an oddball, the cat can even run away if the enemy manages to catch its eye. But when the cat itself tries to catch the owner’s eye, that’s all, you are on the hook-cook a delicious meal, or get ready to pay attention to your pet.
A calm pose and wide-open eyes are witnesses to the fact that everything in the cat’s life is good, it is relaxed, and it does not see or feel a threat to itself. If the cat begins to squint, cover his eyes, then it is better not to approach him.
The pupils will also tell you a lot: if they are dilated despite the fact that the room is brightly lit, it means that the cat is excited. Narrowed pupils and a close look will tell you that you are ready to make a jump.
Learning to understand your pet is easy. It is enough to watch your cat, take care of it with love, and respond to all its requests. A little effort and you can say with confidence:”I understand my cat as myself.”
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.