A sick animal is always a reason for the owner’s alarm. One of the frightening moments when a pet’s sinuses bleed. There may be several factors for the appearance of severe symptoms, such as a simple injury, a foreign body entering the nasal passage, or the manifestation of an unsafe genetic disease, or cancer. Only a veterinarian can make a specific conclusion and detect the causes of nosebleeds, based on the results of laboratory and instrumental tests.
Factors for the appearance of nosebleeds in dogs
The reasons for the loss of blood from the nose of an animal can be manifested externally and internally. Blood loss happens:
- sudden and strong;
- weakly expressed, appearing periodically.
The primary case indicates an acute type, the subsequent case indicates problems with a chronic course. There are a number of main factors, due to the influence of which the dog develops blood loss.
Bleeding occurs as a result of damage to the head on impact, due to a fall from a height, a car accident on the road. Blood loss is accompanied by the appearance of puffiness, obvious abrasions. To ease the dog’s well-being, it is placed so that the head lies on its paws. Such a circumstance is dangerous because often a lesion inside is more dangerous than an external injury. Therefore, the dog must be taken to the doctor immediately.
Due to prolonged presence in a stuffy room or with solar overheating, blood may flow from the dog’s nasal channels. This sign is very serious, since prolonged presence in the sun can provoke the development of a coma and the death of the animal. The pet must be moved to the shade, covered with a towel soaked in water, given a drink and, using a container of chilled water, fixed on the bridge of the nose.
Due to pressure inside the skull, vascular weakness, or age-related disorders, blood may start to flow from the nose. In this situation, it is not recommended to treat the animal yourself. It is better to visit a veterinarian. He will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Influence on dog zoomarine and other compounds toxic nature leads to the disorder of blood vessels, blocking blood coagulation. If a dog is suspected of poisoning due to the use of poison for rats or a dead rodent, you need to urgently cause the animal to vomit and immediately go to the clinic.
Formations of a malignant nature
The occurrence of sarcomas of different courses, squamous cell carcinoma also has a destructive effect on blood vessels, or squeezes them. Often it is impossible to eliminate the problem of the disease, while really prolong the life of the pet and get rid of pain with the help of specially selected treatment.
Diseases of endocrine etiology
A frequent factor in blood loss from the nose is increased thyroid function, excessive excretion of the hormone cortisol by the adrenal glands. Signs may appear due to various pathologies of the autoimmune course (Cushing’s syndrome).
Inflammatory manifestations in the nasal passage, provoked by infectious microorganisms, as well as fungal pathologies can lead to blood loss.
Difficulties in the oral cavity
Gum diseases, a painful tooth can cause heavy blood loss, which causes a portion of blood to flow through the nasal passage. In this situation, the dog often coughs, choking on blood.
Diseases at the hereditary level
There are many inherited diseases characterized by blood clotting disorders. If you do not provide medical assistance, the animal will lose a lot of blood and die. The risk group includes those dogs who have a body weight of less than 5 kg.
Increased pressure, which is a sign of the disease, creates a lot of pressure on the blood vessels, provoking microtrauma, ruptures. In addition to the flow of blood from the sinuses, the pathology is accompanied by a General sluggish state, rapid weight loss, and thirst.
Due to a lack of vitamin K, prothrombin formation is reduced. As a result, small capillaries in the nasal cavity are damaged. The disease in dogs is fixed in rare cases, and mainly appears with a General violation of metabolic processes in the body.
First aid for your pet
Often nosebleeds occur spontaneously, so usually excited owners start to panic. In order not to harm the pet and quickly stop the blood, you should follow this algorithm:
- do not panic – the owner’s panic is transmitted to the pet, and agitation leads to an increase in the dog’s blood pressure. As a result, blood loss will increase, regardless of the measures taken;
- the dog sits down with its head tilted down. This position will prevent blood from entering the animal’s throat, and will not interfere with breathing through the mouth;
- a compress is placed on the back of the nose using ice cubes wrapped in gauze. If there is no ice, you can use something from the refrigerator (a bottle of cool water);
- conduct an inspection – after first aid, the dog needs to be examined. You should wipe your face with a wet towel, removing traces of blood, examine the area of the bridge of the nose, nasal passages for the presence of swelling, foreign bodies. If the problem is known, then you can ease the pet’s condition yourself – remove the splinter, treat the wound, etc.
Important! Manipulations are allowed if the owner is absolutely sure of the correctness of the actions performed. If there is any doubt, it is better to trust the doctor.
In case of excessive agitation of the dog is prohibited:
- treat PSA with sedatives;
- make sudden movements to change the position of the dog;
- wash your nose;
- yourself to pull out the foreign body.
It is important to quickly consult a doctor. They will recommend a checkup and prescribe treatment.
Blood loss from the nose in dogs includes a comprehensive treatment, based on the root cause, concomitant signs. Treatment can take place inpatient or at home.
To stop the blood, the following medications are prescribed:
- hydrogen peroxide, which is impregnated with tampons inserted into the sinuses;
- subcutaneous administration of Epinephrine, Ephedrine;
- calcium Chloride droppers;
- intramuscular administration of Vikasol;
- inside the vein Desmopressin.
Then, based on the factor that caused the blood loss, appropriate therapy is performed.
When blood clotting is impaired, treatment involves the use of blood-replacement medications that stimulate normal platelet performance.
If a foreign body is detected in the nose, it is carefully removed. Based on the stage of the lesion, the procedure is performed under local or General anesthesia.
Fungal damage to the nasal passages is treated with specific antimycotic drugs. Therapy of endocrine pathologies involves the use of hormonal agents. For bacterial infection, antibacterial medications are used.
Prevention of blood loss from the nose in a dog provides:
- detailed and systematic examination of the animal’s nose after walking, especially in the forest area, in open areas;
- protecting dogs from contact with homeless and sick animals;
- constantly process the dog’s fur for fleas and ticks.
Significant in prevention is diagnosis, examination by a doctor. This will make it possible to detect diseases of internal organs in time and take measures to eliminate them.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.