Who is suitable for the Jack Russell Terrier breed? Predisposition to diseases
Many people know the Jack Russell Terrier from the movie “the Mask”. There, the main character’s pet often flashes in the frame.
An incomparable cheerful dog that won the hearts of many.
This breed is known not only for its companion qualities, but also for its love of hunting. Their ancestors also participated in Fox hunting, driving wild predators out of their burrows with their loud barking, hence the second name – Fox Terrier. Therefore, when purchasing this friend, be prepared that your walks will be very active. And forget about the peace of the house.
Characteristics of the breed
- Color. White as the dominant colour. Other shades: red, black. But even if we consider several at one glance identical crevices, then among the red spots you can find a huge number of sub-birds.
- Wool. Smooth, but sometimes registered and hard. In any case, it perfectly protects in bad weather, because these dogs in England (and there is almost all the time rain, drizzle, high humidity with wind in addition) almost all day in nature ran through fields/forests, hunted. Mother nature “thought it all out” and protected her “children”.
- The chest is not wide, otherwise Russell would not have fit into the hole. And the body itself is very elastic, flexible, well-developed muscles. Dogs are very hardy, because on such short legs you need to run a lot and very quickly. The tail is usually docked so that it is not above the level of the ears.
Character of the Fox Terrier
Some people think that this breed is very cute, funny, good-natured and funny. But this is far from the truth. Without proper upbringing, Russell can become a real “monster” that will terrorize everyone. So small, but it can create a lot of problems.
It is very important to start the training process from the first day you crossed the threshold with it. And you will have to raise him all his life, no descent. Otherwise, a cute-looking Terrier will take over the house, exhaust all the nerves.
You need to walk with Russell several times a day. And one walk is not 5 minutes for the pet to relieve itself, but at least 20 minutes with active games, running. They love Fox Terriers Frisbee or catch-up, catch a ball. Pet is very bouncy, so use this to your friend exhausted and not messing around at home.
Although if you compare with other Terriers, Jack Russell is more balanced than his “brothers”. And they do not bark so often (although very loudly), which can not but please the owners of these beauties (only in the case of excellent upbringing). In any case, constant adjustment of behavior is necessary. Fox Terriers are very friendly. They find a common language with both children and dogs (if they have been properly socialized since childhood). Great if the children will run and play with the dog. Good for everyone.
And the children will play enough, and Russell will throw out his energy. And, therefore, it will be quieter and calmer at home. But you need to be prepared that it is extremely difficult to exhaust Jack because of his high endurance.
But with cats or other small animals, this breed of Terrier is unlikely to get along. Still, the hunting instinct will take its toll. If you do not properly educate, do not socialize the puppy, take it too early from the mother, then problems with other dogs can not be avoided. Russell will “fight” with them, conflict, bark and rush on a walk.
The dog is too curious. And if he gets bored at home, he will quickly find something to do. And often it’s furniture, Wallpaper, shoes, wires. Everything will gnaw, tear, spoil. Therefore, take care of the toys and do not leave your pet alone for a long time.
Who is suitable for Jack Russell
Active people who spend a lot of time on the street often go to nature. It is best if the house is private with a large plot that is not planted with shrubs and trees. Then the Terrier will run around the lawn, barking freely, without disturbing anyone, digging holes, as if looking for holes.
This breed is not suitable for pensioners. They just can’t handle it, because running and jumping with Jack will have his whole life. Refuse to buy such a dog is worth those who are almost never at home or often on business trips.
The dog will not “take root” in a small apartment, because it will have nowhere to run. And he will bark at the neighbors loudly, constantly. If there are other Pets in the house (no matter, dogs, cats, rabbits, even hamsters), you need to prepare for constant hunting and “war”.
As you can see, not everyone is suitable for Russell. Even if everything is fine financially, there is a place for active walks, but there is no time, then Jack will become unmanageable from a cute cheerful dog.
Predisposition to diseases
Like any other breed, Jack has “his” predispositions to diseases.
- Canine hip dysplasia. The animal has a severe limp. The disease may appear immediately, and closer to 2 years.
- Legg-Perthes Disease. Another name is osteochondropathy of the femoral head, that is, the neck and head of the bone “dies” (necrotizes). But necrosis is aseptic. The animal begins to limp.
- Dislocation of the patella. Often this disease is registered in small dogs. Whether it is a Fox Terrier breed or another low representative.
- Congenital deafness. It will appear even before the puppy turns six months old.
- Eye abnormality (“collie eyes”), corneal dystrophy (it first becomes cloudy, then vision is lost, but there are no symptoms of inflammation). There are also problems with eyelashes: they either grow in 2 rows (brachiasis), or displaced (on the conjunctiva, as if wrapped inside the eye). Sometimes glaucoma, keratoconjunctivitis and even dislocation of the lens are registered. Only an experienced veterinarian-ophthalmologist will make a diagnosis during a face-to-face visit and after a thorough examination.
- Hypothyroidism. The thyroid gland is destroyed due to an overly “aggressive” immune system. Among the symptoms – weight gain, increased shedding, the skin becomes like scales (very rough).
- From skin diseases, ichthyosis (“fish scales” on the pads, tip of the nose), leaf-shaped pemphigus (red spots appear on the skin, which later become covered with crusts, wool falls out) are often registered.
- Hair loss is often noticed on the “black” areas. The disease is called dysplasia of black hair follicles.
- Umbilical hernia. There is a noticeable protrusion on the abdomen – a hernia. The muscles of the abdominal wall diverge, forming an opening into which internal organs can exit (often, a loop of the intestine). It is forbidden to set it yourself, serious complications may occur (intestinal perforation, as a result of it – peritonitis). Be sure to contact the veterinary clinic even if you are suspicious.
- Mitochondrial myopathy. After the load, the heart and lungs work “to wear out”, the frequency of both respiratory movements and heart contractions increases. Collapse often develops.
- Convulsions. Spasm occurs due to “overexcitation” of the muscles. The Fox Terrier becomes like a rabbit – it jumps up and down.
- A large number of diseases of the nervous system: epilepsy, cerebellar degeneration, bulbospinal paralysis (congenital anomaly), cerebrospinal demyelination. Often, sensory neuropathy is registered – the animal practically does not feel pain, so a lot of injuries, as if the animal does not notice how they get.
- Incompleteness is when a tooth is missing (one or more, although the dental formula seems to be normal). And there is also a snack.
- Ectopia of the ureters – in this case, the urine seems to “leak”, because the ureters do not seem to be fully attached to the bladder.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.