Hyperactivity of dogs is manifested in overexcited emotional behavior. Regardless of the situation and place, these dogs behave intemperately. Any impulses of the owner to stop the pet, as a rule, do not lead to anything. To subdue this type of four-legged friends, it will take more than persuasion and commands.
Causes of hyperactive behavior of dogs
Hyperactive behavior in a dog is a condition that manifests itself in a slight excitement from any, the most insignificant stimuli. In some cases, this behavior is the norm, for example, for puppies and young dogs. Adults of some breeds can also behave energetically. High emotional and physical activity can manifest itself in different ways, each breed has its own characteristics.
However, for most dogs, hyperactivity is a mental disorder that requires correction by the owner or a specialist. Overactive dogs can not calmly perceive the environment, focus their attention and respond adequately to external stimuli. In addition, the behavior of a hyperactive dog can bring a lot of trouble to the owner.
The main reasons for hyperactive dog behavior are as follows:
- genetic predisposition of the breed;
- failure in the hormonal system;
- wrong parenting;
- failure to comply with the standards for pet;
- lack of proper environment for the dog;
- lack of attention;
- lack of physical and motor loads;
- malfunctions of the nervous system (neuralgia);
- rough and violent parenting;
- the lack of a day mode;
- diabetes mellitus;
- mental disorders;
- emotional stress;
- poor nutrition, lack of vitamins and minerals in the food;
- sleep and rest disorders.
In addition to the above symptoms, hyperactivity in a pet can be caused by a number of diseases, such as the presence of neoplasms, ectoparasites, and emotional shocks.
A list of active and energetic breeds
Each breed of dog has its own level of physical and emotional energy. There are breeds that are calm, but on the contrary, they tend to be very active.
It is believed that the most active dogs are those that weigh no more than 25 kg and no more than 40 cm at the withers, because it is difficult for large dogs to run and jump around the clock. The most active breed of small representatives is the Jack Russell Terrier. The energy of these dogs is so high that the owner gets tired faster than his pet. This breed was bred for hunting, hence its wild endless charge of energy. These dogs are good to get for hyperactive children.
Of the large individuals, the following active breeds are noted:
- the West Siberian Laika;
- Cocker Spaniel;
- border collie;
An interesting fact is that two dogs of the same breed can have different levels of activity. Each will have its own temper and character. In addition, the energy of the dog depends on socialization and conditions of detention.
Correction of hyperactive dog behavior
Hyperactive behavior of a pet is not only harmful to the dog itself, but also presents a problem for the owner. It is difficult to walk with such animals, control their habits, and train them. The dog can’t concentrate on commands, constantly jumps, doesn’t listen.
There are several effective methods to reduce hyperactive behavior of dogs. Make optimal use of all of them. The list of measures to calm an overactive pet is as follows:
- Control your own behavior. Since dogs are very sensitive, they perfectly recognize the mood of the owner and adapt to it. For example, a calm person will have a calmer dog, and Vice versa. Being in an extreme state of excitement, the dog can do anything. That’s why it’s so important to monitor your behavior, feelings, and thoughts;
- Special toys. Most owners of various breeds of dogs believe that toys are necessary only for young breeds of dogs. But this is an erroneous opinion. At any age, the dog is interested in balls, bones and sticks. Great trailcam will be a rope and harness. But it is better for young puppies to give up such toys, because the correct bite may be broken;
- Ignore and not reinforce overactive behavior at home. Many Pets, seeing their owner after work, begin to actively jump, run, jump and playfully bite. Of course, this behavior in the first 5 minutes is justified, the animal missed the owner, and this is normal. But if this kind of behavior lasts for a long time, you should ignore this behavior, do not look the dog in the eye and avoid contact in every possible way, without encouraging undesirable behavior;
- Method of aromatherapy. Essential oils of plants have a calming effect on the entire body, including the dog. In order not to make a mistake with the choice, it is recommended to visit a veterinarian who will prescribe the appropriate oils;
- Physical activity. One of the best ways to deal with hyperactivity. The high energy of the dog is due to idleness and lack of constant work. Especially if the pet lives in a city apartment and rarely walks. Therefore, a competent owner will find the right channel for his pet, where all the unspent energy will go. At a pet store, you can buy a special dog backpack that will be worn by a hyperactive dog on walks. You can also go to the pond or river to swim the dog. After such an active training, the dog will fall asleep like a baby, and sleep without getting up until the morning.
Physical activity and dog walks are essential every day.
How to train an active pet correctly?
Active dogs are usually more difficult to train than calm ones. Training a hyperactive and excited dog can sometimes be very difficult.
When starting training, every owner of an energetic dog should remember the following rules:
- Patience. It is very difficult to negotiate with a hyperactive dog and get it to follow the necessary commands. Be patient, don’t break down or get nervous. If your favorite pet can’t hear you, don’t yell at them, and don’t use physical force to fight active disobedience. An incorrectly constructed training process, with shouts and curses, will be associated with a negative pastime in the animal and, as a result, the dog will avoid training processes in every possible way;
- Durability. Raise your dog not only on the Playground, but also at home. Round the clock, week after week, you need to raise your pet. You can’t be strict in training, but allow everything at home. Decide at once what you will allow your shaggy friend, and what will be strictly forbidden to do. For example, you can’t let a dog chew on an old pair of shoes, or punish it for chewing on a new pair. The animal does not distinguish between the old and the new. So be consistent and logical in your actions;
- Perseverance. The owner in the eyes of the dog should always be an authority. Therefore, do not stop in the middle of the training process. In some cases, to learn a command, you will have to repeat it more than one hundred times. But, in the end, the dog will hear you and do everything right.
Dog training begins at the age of 6 months. In the first classes, all teams learn in a playful way with encouragement and treats. Time for one training session – no more than 20 minutes, because puppies are unable to concentrate for a long time. Speak your commands clearly and loudly.
At the beginning of the training process, give the dog a treat for a correctly executed command. After a couple of sessions, replace food with stroking. All rewards and punishments must follow the completed action no later than 3-5 seconds, otherwise the dog simply will not understand what it did wrong and what it did right.
Hyperactivity can cause a lot of trouble in the future if you don’t curb your pet’s negative behavior in time. The best prevention is daily long active walks. After a couple of days of intense workload, you will notice how the pet will calm down and become more balanced.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.