Everyone who has a purring pet at home will someday face the difficulty of how to wash the cat so that the animal becomes clean and does not suffer itself. Any cat that is afraid (and not necessarily of water) is scratched. This is not surprising — it is a defensive reaction, triggered by the instinct of self-preservation. However, if you try, you can wash your pet at home without stress.
When should I wash my cat
Hygiene is extremely important for both humans and animals. Cats themselves are very clean, but sometimes they get dirty. Especially the little kids. Therefore, you need to teach a kitten to water procedures from childhood, then as an adult, the cat will not be afraid of water.
Washing should be “justified”. That is, you should send the animal to the bath only when it is really necessary, and not when you want it. For example, a kitten ate and got dirty, or an adult cat should be treated for fleas with a special shampoo (against skin parasites).
Yes, exhibition Pets will have to be washed more often, so that their fur shimmers in the sun and is silky, without tangles. Usually the owners of such cats take care of their hair not only with a special shampoo, but also with a conditioner, a good comb or a pukhoderki. However, breeders also try not to wash the purr unless it is absolutely necessary .
A short plan for how to wash a cat
Prepare shampoo and towels
Before you start ” cat ” water treatments, you need to understand what to do. First of all, prepare everything you need at once, so that you don’t have to rush around the bathroom looking for cat shampoo or towels. All your movements should be clear, but not sharp, so as not to frighten the washing animal. On the floor, you can put a blanket or a large towel that will absorb moisture, because it is unlikely that your four-legged friend will sit meekly in a basin or sink while he is soaped and poured water.
Secure the bath for yourself and the cat
Secure the bath for yourself and the cat. Remove the hanging towels, because a frightened cat can cling to them. Remove all the washcloths, move the soap dishes to the far corner, and open the shampoo bottle immediately, so that you don’t get out of it later. Close the doors, do not create drafts, so that the pet does not catch a cold.
Check water temperature
Be sure to buy a water thermometer. It will help you not to burn or” freeze ” your pet. What you think is warm is cold for a cat, because its body temperature is several degrees higher than yours. Some pour water directly into the basin, and then wash the cat with this water, because the pet is terrified of the sound of water from the tap.
Others are washed under the “rain” or under the tap. But here it is worth considering that you can not wet your ears and eyes.
In addition, you should monitor the water temperature, because sometimes there are “interruptions” in the water supply: suddenly the hot water disappears, then, once, there is no cold water. These sudden changes can greatly frighten the animal.
Protect yourself. A jacket with long sleeves, preferably with a thick fabric should be clothing. You can put folded hand towels under your sleeve, so you will protect yourself if the cat decides to scratch or bite you. It is not necessary to punish the purr for this, being in such unusual conditions for it is stressful.
Make wet the cat’s wool
Thoroughly wet the wool before applying shampoo. Long-haired cats need more time to “get wet” than short-haired or bald cats. Otherwise, cosmetics will not be able to properly “remove” dust from under the scales of the hair.
Lather gently. Make sure that the foam and the shampoo itself do not get into your eyes, nose, or ears. It should also be washed off very carefully, but carefully, so that cosmetics do not remain on the coat.
Stay ready for unexpected attack
Do not believe if your pet suddenly after numerous attempts to escape from you, decided to “accept” and became quiet. Do not lose your vigilance and do not loosen your “grip”, continuing to fix the purr firmly. Otherwise, he will take the chance and run away from you.
It is important to know not only how to wash the cat, but also how to dry it. You can not let the animal go wet, even if the house is very warm. First, there is a high risk that a four-legged friend will get a cold. Secondly, it will either lie down somewhere wet, wet everything, or even more fun-it will collect dust on itself, and you will have to puzzle again how to wash the cat a second time.
How to properly wash your pet at home
The plan was sorted out, and now it’s time to understand more about how to wash the cat.
- Do not rush, rush, panic. This will only complicate the procedure. Your “nerves” will be transferred to the animal, and it will start to break out. Do not neglect the help, so that one person holds the pet, calms it, and the second quickly washes it.
Don’t hesitate. After all, washing is stressful for most Pets. And if you delay water procedures, you can not only get a strong dislike of the bathroom from the cat, but also chill it if the room is cool (for example, the door is open or the ventilation is faulty).
- At the expense of the place where to wash the pet, they still argue. But here the” matter of taste ” of the cat itself. One likes it in the bathroom, while the other representative of the cat is afraid of large spaces, so it is calmer in the sink or basin. Opinions only agree that the cat should feel the support under its paws.
Just make sure the bottom isn’t slippery. If you wash in the sink or bathroom, you can use a special anti-slip Mat. Although some owners manage to lather and wash off the shampoo from the cat, which is held with the other hand “by the scruff of the neck”. But this method is only suitable for those animals that are slightly dirty, and water procedures will take just a few seconds.
- Now wet the pet’s fur thoroughly. Rain or water from a jug-you decide what is more convenient and faster. Squeeze the shampoo on your hand, add a little water and lightly lather on the palm, and only then wash the wool. If the shampoo is against skin parasites, then you need to clean the skin well (read the instructions first).
- Wash your hair last. Wash it off first from the back and then from the head. Not a single drop of water should get into the ears.
- Before wiping your pet, gently squeeze its fur. Of course, Shorthair (for example, British) “squeeze” is not necessary, you can immediately wipe with a soft and dry towel. Do not use a hair dryer, for sure, the cat is afraid of it to the horror.
- If you are afraid to bring beauty to your pet at home, you can ask for help in a grooming salon. They certainly know how to wash a cat properly.