When acne appears on the face of a pet (black dots, blackheads), the owner becomes restless not only because of the spoiled appearance of the pet, but also because of the unknown reason for their occurrence.
The article discusses the causes of acne.
Causes of the disease
Inflammation of the sebaceous glands in cats refers to skin diseases and is called acne. Acne appears as blackheads or blackheads. The most common area of appearance is the chin and lip area.
The cause of skin diseases can serve as various signs, the main ones are considered:
- stressful situations that result in a violation of the sebaceous glands and the production of a large amount of sebum;
- poor hygiene when self-licking in hard-to-reach places, such as the chin;
- diseases of the skin;
- disorders in the development of the sebaceous glands;
- weak immune system;
- fat food;
- porosity of the material of plastic bowls for feeding animals, which allows bacteria to accumulate in the pores due to irregular washing of dishes.
Which breeds are more susceptible
Skin pathologies in the form of rashes are common in cats of different breeds, different ages, and different genders.
Of course, in the risk zone will be those cats that do not comply with:
- dish hygiene;
- the diet is not regulated in the direction of balance of microelements, vitamins and useful substances;
- there is no control over the cleanliness of the skin, including in places that are hard to reach for licking.
The main symptoms
In the early phase, acne appears as black dots that can be confused with dirt or sand in the coat. If you do not pay attention to the changes that have occurred in the appearance of the pet, then the next phase will be redness of the skin, swelling of the affected area.
The pet begins to itch, wounds with blood secretions may appear in the place of scratching, and if the cat is not treated at the initial stage, the skin disease will progress and reach the appearance of ulcers, and in some cases to local baldness.
If you experience symptoms of itching, anxiety, and skin rashes, you should immediately contact a veterinary clinic to examine the animal.
Diagnostics in the veterinary clinic
Contacting the clinic with a pet is mandatory, since the symptoms of acne are similar in their signs to such dangerous diseases as sarcoptosis (scabies), eosinophilic (linear) granuloma, demodecosis (subcutaneous mite), dermatomycosis (ringworm). The appearance of acne can also be associated with an allergic reaction.
To make an accurate diagnosis in the clinic, the pet will take a skin scrape for analysis. The biomaterial is studied for the presence of bacteria and fungi.
The results of the analysis, if they confirm acne, will allow the doctor to prescribe the correct treatment and recommend that the owner of the animal exclude possible household factors that irritate the animal’s skin or make changes to its diet.
Treatment method and prognosis
When treating cats for acne, it is necessary to:
- follow all doctor’s appointments;
- exclude excessively fatty foods from the diet;
- if there is a lack of vitamins, include them in the cat’s diet;
- do not squeeze out blackheads on the cat’s skin;
- replace plastic dishes with glass or ceramic ones;
- wash the animal’s dishes used for industrial wet or natural food at least twice a day.
When treating a cat for acne, you need a patient and caring attitude of the owner to recover. Cat acne is not contagious to humans and does not cause pain to the animal, if the sore is not started and does not bother the pet with itching. Overall, the prognosis for recovery is favorable.
What to do at home
Like other cat diseases, acne is treated according to the veterinarian’s instructions.
In order for the therapy to give the expected result, the owner needs to understand what caused the normal functioning of the sebaceous glands on the cat’s body to be disrupted. To do this, you must follow all the recommendations prescribed by your doctor and after the course of therapy, establish control over the introduction of new products, especially fatty ones.
It is important to remember that excess vitamins can also cause acne outbreaks. Therefore, vitamins should also be dosed.
It is necessary to monitor the hygiene of dishes, as well as wipe the cat’s chin after eating, which is difficult to reach for self-licking. You can wipe it with a cotton swab soaked in a decoction of calendula or chamomile.
If you do not provide qualified assistance to the cat in time and allow the formation of blood wounds after combing the places where acne rashes, then a secondary infection may develop on the skin. Damaged skin is a gateway for the pathogen of infection, any fungus or any bacteria will complicate the pet’s condition.
The correct solution is to contact the owner of the animal to the clinic at the initial signs of the disease, preventing re-infection.
Prevention measures (diet)
Preventive measures are necessary to prevent diseases of animals, and for owners-further spending time and money on pet recovery.
Preventive measures to maintain the cat’s health include the following recommendations:
- avoid stressful situations for your pet;
- exclude fatty foods from the animal’s diet;
- the diet should consist of foods rich in vitamins, trace elements and fatty acids;
- it is necessary to strengthen the pet’s immune system;
- clean the cat’s chin after eating decoctions of calendula or chamomile;
- keep the feeding dishes clean;
- replace plastic dishes with ceramic or glass ones.
The causes of acne (acne or blackheads) in cats are ambiguous. They are caused by a number of related factors combined: food, care, and the weather in the house are important here-a friendly attitude.
Therefore, proper nutrition and caring care for the pet and love will guarantee the safe health of the cat and the good mood of the owner.