Getting a large guard dog for a private home, you make a cozy warm booth in the yard. However, the dog refuses to live in his house and ignores him. You need to understand the reason and start to teach your pet to the booth with various methods and tricks.
Why doesn’t a dog want to live in a doghouse?
Moving to the doghouse from home is stressful for the dog. She’ll have to get used to spending time alone. All dogs behave differently, sometimes the dog does not want to evaluate his house. It is not difficult to find out the reason.
- Previously lived with another dog?
Dogs tend to be wary of the odors of their relatives. If the booth is “inherited”, the dog will settle down in the absence of smell.
- Just smells bad?
Repel sharp or unpleasant odors. Because of the well-developed sense of smell, the dog is sensitive to them.
- Too tight?
Perhaps the size of the booth does not match the size of the dog. If she used to live in an apartment or a large house, the tightness will discourage the desire to be in the booth. Wait for the discomfort to pass.
The pet needs time to get used to the new house. Do not rush, follow the useful recommendations for getting used to the booth.
Please note – there are breeds of dogs that are not intended for life outside the home. Unlike watchdogs, they consider training to a box in the yard an exile and perceive it as a punishment. Such a dog will not want to live in a box, as it is in its nature to be a companion next to a person. It is inhumane to teach it to a street house – the dog will get angry and lose confidence in the person.
When is it time to teach?
The experience of many breeders says that a good time for training in many cases is cold. Dogs walk around the booth, and inside the comfortable house they will be driven into the coolness at night. There is also an opposite opinion – you need to get used to the booth in late spring or summer, in warm and dry weather. Bad weather will make the dog instinctively stay at home and training will be of little use. But light rain will not be a hindrance, but on the contrary will help – the dog will find shelter in a warm and dry booth.
The appropriate age for training is 3-4 months. The puppy should be strong enough for street life. If you live in a region with a cold climate, then postpone the training until spring. In severe frosts, the undercoat of the puppy will not save you from freezing.
How to train a pet to a doghouse
The main principle of training is gradual. The animal must get used to the booth and it will take at least a few days. Dog handlers say that the term depends on the pedigree, among other things. If there were guard dogs in the family, the pet will quickly understand why the booth is needed. The “home” dog will have to be taught longer. As a result, the booth will become a new home for her. By rushing, you increase the risk of psychological trauma.
The sequence of training:
- prepare the booth – arrange it inside, put your favorite dog toys;
- let the dog explore the yard and explore everything;
- spend as much time as possible with your pet on the street, train and play, so that the dog is tired and easier to relax in a cozy booth;
- at first, leave the dog for 40-50 minutes, gradually increase the time spent inside;
- at night, the dog must be left at home, spending the night in the booth is possible after the adaptation is completed.
Show your dog how nice and cozy it is to be inside the doghouse. Don’t forget to reward her for sitting quietly in the booth. Caress, praise and give treats.
Keep an eye on the dog’s health during the training period. Watch for signs of possible stress. Do not allow long whining. The dog should see that he was not abandoned, should not feel unnecessary. Constantly communicate with him.
For successful training of the dog to the doghouse, it is important where its house is located. Place the booth so that the pet can see the entrance to the house from it. So he will always meet the incoming and outgoing household members and be less sad.
During the adaptation period, focus on delicious food. With the help of Goodies and favorite dishes, consolidate the positive emotions from being in the booth. The dog will begin to associate the booth with a treat and remember that there is always delicious food here. Do not allow starvation, the dog should always be full. So he will have even more desire to relax after a meal in a cozy booth.
What you can’t do
Wrong actions will not achieve results. On the contrary, the process of training will be delayed for a long time and will become more time – consuming. The dog will lose all interest in the booth and become afraid of it.
Remember what actions are prohibited:
- lock a dog in a kennel, force it to sit there by force;
- scold or punish for not wanting to sit inside;
- leave the dog in the doghouse alone for a long time;
- to move the box.
Putting a dog on a chain with a desire to quickly get used to the booth is not an option. The dog can accept the restrictions, but not get used to a new situation. You can only put them on the chain after they are accustomed to the booth.
Tricks that can be used for training
If the usual methods did not work, then use tricks from owners of large guard dogs:
- Play active games near the booth, but do not pay attention to it. Throw the ball inside – let the dog come in and bring a toy. Encourage with a treat or praise.
- Put a bowl of food near the booth. Move it closer to the entrance every day. As a result, the dog should calmly go inside and eat there.
- Climb into the booth yourself and show by example that it is not scary at all. Call the dog when it joins you – praise and encourage. If the size of the box, it is possible to play together on the inside to reinforce the positive emotions.
- Put your old thing in the booth so that the smell helps your pet get used to it.
- Invite a dog that is already accustomed to the doghouse. Her example will help you adapt.
Begin to train your dog to the doghouse when it is fully landscaped. For a pet, it should be associated with comfort and safety. Be patient and gradually see the result.