The cat show is a responsible and exciting event for both the animal and the owner. Successful participation in exhibition events is impossible without thorough and multi-faceted preparation. This article will tell you how to prepare for the exhibition in stages.
Requirements for the cat’s appearance
High-quality preparation for the exhibition is impossible without knowledge of the requirements that apply to the exhibited animal. The requirements may differ for different breeds. However, there are a number of General rules that are mandatory for all cats.
- Cleanliness and appearance. The animal must be clean, well-groomed and combed. Wool – shiny, in perfect condition. Grooming should naturally emphasize the traits that are characteristic of the breed. Ears and eyes are clean.
- Physical parameters. For each breed, there are special characteristics that the cat must meet.
- Temperament. Animals with a calm nature are more likely to make a good impression on the judges. Cats that are nervous and restless in bright light and in the presence of a large number of people may not always show their best qualities.
- Condition. General physical condition that characterizes the level of health of the animal.
There are also reasons why an animal can be banned from the exhibition or disqualified. These include:
- Artificial change in the color of the animal’s fur,
- Dirt on the body and poor appearance of the cat,
- Refusal of the owner to pass a veterinary examination,
- Obvious physical ailments of the animal,
- Excessive use of cosmetics.
Also, the animal may not be allowed to participate in the exhibition due to poor health and illness.
Stages of pet preparation for the exhibition
Exhibition events are usually announced 1.5-2 months before the date of the event. At this time, it is necessary to carry out all the preparatory work. There are several main stages of preparation.
30 days or more before the exhibition. The task of this stage does not include combing the animal to perfect condition. The main goal is a gentle and careful attitude to wool, stimulating its growth. For this purpose, specialized high-quality shampoos and conditioners are used. During the current training period, you need to closely monitor the quality of food and health of the pet, since any deviations will immediately affect the appearance.
7 days before the exhibition. This is an important and responsible stage. Very soon your pet will appear before the audience and judges. At least a week before the event, it is strongly recommended not to experiment with new detergents in order to avoid allergic reactions or irritations.
Washing and grooming before the show. Final preparation is carried out in several stages.
- The cat needs to trim its claws.
- Carefully comb the hair.
- Places on the body that are subject to contamination, smear with a special cleansing paste (gel).
- Bathe the animal using a quality proven shampoo and conditioner. Detergents should be washed off with plenty of water, very thoroughly. Not completely washed off the product can negatively affect the appearance of the coat.
- To hold the hygiene of the ears and eyes.
- The washed cat should be wiped with a towel and dried with a hair dryer. In this case, the hair dryer mode is selected as the minimum, cool. Drying order: back, belly, collar, tail. In parallel, you need to comb your pet using combs of different teeth: first large, then small.
- At the drying stage, you can use a special tool for texturing wool. But it is important not to overdo it, as excess funds can glue the wool.
- At the final stage, a coat gloss spray and an antistatic agent are applied.
Typical mistakes of inexperienced owners
The most common mistakes include the following:
- Use of detergents (shampoos, Soaps) intended for humans for animal washing;
- Washing with cheap, low-quality animal shampoo;
Hair care should be carried out strictly using specialized detergents for cats. The use of household chemicals intended for humans negatively affects the animal’s fur: its structure changes, dandruff is formed. Allergic reactions are also possible.
Well-known manufacturers produce shampoos specifically for cat breeds, hair length and color. If possible, it is recommended to use such high-quality shampoos that are suitable for your cat.
However, do not forget that even the most expensive product can cause an allergic reaction or irritation. Therefore, you can’t use a new tool just before the exhibition.
It is best to try the shampoo 30-40 days before the exhibition. To do this, you need to wash some part of the animal’s body and see the reaction. If there is no irritation, and the animal’s hair is of excellent quality after washing, the product is suitable for regular use.
What should I take to the exhibition?
When going to an exhibition event, you must have:
- Your passport
- Veterinary passport of the animal (vaccination certificate)
- Documents for a cat (pedigree)
- Certificate of external veterinary examination (can be obtained before registration).
The cat will need its usual attributes:
- Food bowl
- Leash and harness
- Water and food
- Care products (combs)
- Cosmetic products
General rules of preparation and behavior at the exhibition:
- Follow the rules and regulations of the competition
- Respect the judge’s decision and expert assessment
Preparing a cat for an exhibition is not an easy task. The owner requires patience and endurance, material and time costs. However, a successful performance and positive emotions received from the event more than pay for the invested effort.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.