If the pet emits an unpleasant smell, or the apartment has a persistent “dog smell”, what can this be related to? Let’s look at the reasons in the article and what measures should be taken to get rid of the unpleasant smell.
Causes of smell
Odors can come from a pet, and generally persist in the interior of the apartment. The first step should be to examine the pet and the home environment: items that the pet uses and all the furniture itself, soft carpets and corners under sofas, beds, etc.
The formation of an odor can be associated with various reasons:
- predisposition of the breed to smell;
- lack of regular hygiene procedures for the pet;
- an improperly chosen shampoo for Pets;
- disease of the animal;
- unsanitary condition of the bed;
- hidden for future use by the pet tidbit;
- the dog made a toilet in the wrong place;
- physiological reasons: estrus in females, metabolic disorders, and other malfunctions in the animal’s body;
- the toilet tray is not periodically treated with a disinfectant solution;
- the filler in the toilet tray is not replaced in a timely manner;
- perianalny obstruction of the glands of the animal;
- hot summer weather can provoke sweating of the animal.
How to deal with the smell of an animal
A healthy and well-groomed dog should not emit an unpleasant smell. As to the content of pet was correct, it is necessary to comply with mandatory hygiene procedures, which include:
The dog must be washed regularly, the frequency of bathing for a domestic dog is enough to set from one to three times a month, depending on the contamination. In addition, it is necessary to observe hygiene and wash the pet at least partially (paws, belly, muzzle and under the tail) after each walk.
In the summer season, water procedures should be carried out more often: the animal sweats heavily, emits an unpleasant smell.
Selection of cleaningproducts
The dog must have a special shampoo, the use of human shampoo is unacceptable, due to the unsuitable pH value. When choosing shampoos, you should not stop at cheap detergents, they can cause allergies, eczema, negatively affect the skin and hair of the pet, as well as simply poorly wash out dirt. In addition to high-quality shampoo, it is advisable to use conditioner.
Fromthe pet’s ear after washing
To prevent active reproduction of bacteria and avoid the formation of a sharp smell from wet hair, the animal should be wiped with a towel or dried with a hair dryer (not hot).
Cleaning the dog’s ears
If you neglect this procedure, then sulfur deposits in the ears form a persistent unpleasant smell. In the advanced case, with the development of otitis, the smell is no longer comparable to sulfur and has an even more unpleasant character. Inspection of the auricles should be carried out daily, clean – as soon as it becomes dirty. In some breeds, ear cleaning is performed at intervals of once a week. If you find swelling, discharge, or redness, contact your veterinarian.
Brushing your teeth, removing Tartar
It is necessary to brush the dog’s teeth every day, if this is not possible, then at least twice a week. Use a special brush and special toothpaste for cleaning. A veterinarian can teach you how to perform this procedure correctly. You can also buy special toys for brushing your teeth in pet stores that help remove plaque and massage the gums. If the dog has formed Tartar, it can also cause an unpleasant smell from the mouth. Cleaning of teeth from stone is carried out in a veterinary clinic under anesthesia.
Proper nutrition of the dog
An unbalanced, irregular diet can cause problems in the animal’s gastrointestinal tract, allergic reactions, and difficulties with hair and skin. Proper nutrition will help you choose a doctor from a veterinary clinic.
Regular combing of the coat will help to get rid of the undercoat, which causes increased sweating, retains moisture and as a result emits an unpleasant smell. The frequency of combing varies depending on the breed: from daily to twice a week.
It is better to shorten the hair under the dog’s tail so that the pet’s waste products do not stick to it.
Regular routine check-up with a veterinarian and tests
The doctor will tell you how to properly care for the animal, and in case of health problems, choose the right treatment.
If the dog still smells unpleasant when performing hygiene procedures and balanced nutrition, this may be a signal of deterioration in its health. It could be dermatitis, blockage perianalny glands, liver disease, metabolic disorders, and other abnormalities. In this case, it is necessary not to postpone the visit to a veterinary clinic specialist.
How to deal with the smell in the apartment
Simple hygiene measures will help eliminate the smell in the apartment:
- Regular washing of bedding from the dog’s bed. Without waiting for persistent contamination and the formation of smell, it is necessary to change the litter to a fresh one. You can wash the products with washing powder (if the pet is not prone to allergies), soap or detergent for children’s clothing.
- Daily washing of toys, bowls and other items used by the animal.
- If the pet was “kaskadnaja” on the carpet, the results of its life should be removed immediately. If you delay cleaning, then the smells that have become ingrained in the carpet or other interior items will only increase over time. When cleaning the carpet, you should use special cleaning products, but you can also use the tools that are at hand for any housewife: ordinary table vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, namely, a solution (for one liter of water – 40 ml of vinegar) is applied to the stain, covered with a small amount of soda and rubbed with a brush into the carpet. Next, a solution is added to the carpet (a small amount of water with the addition of hydrogen peroxide) and left for 10-15 minutes. After the time has elapsed, the stain is washed with water.
- It is easier to remove puddles from a hard surface. This task will help to cope with the usual table vinegar in the proportion of water 1:6.
- When using a home toilet tray, it should be washed after each use or the filler should be changed in a timely manner. Disinfecting the tray should be carried out at least 3-4 times a month.
- After cleaning and to create a pleasant aroma, you can add your favorite essential oil to the sprayer with water and spray the liquid in the room.
- Regular ventilation of the premises.
But remember that the main condition for the absence of smell is proper care of the pet and keeping the home clean.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.