Those who want to buy a feathered friend often have a question: what should you consider and what should you pay attention to when choosing a parrot? Some buyers believe that it is better to keep females at home, while others, on the contrary, prefer males. In addition, there are many other important points that should be taken into account when choosing a new family member. You can find answers to your questions in the article.
Optimal age for purchase
Young birds are more active than adults and are easier to train. Here are some tips for choosing the right young parrots:
- buy birds only in trusted locations, i.e. in pet stores or from trusted breeders;
- it is desirable that the age of the bird at the time of purchase does not exceed four months (you will get this information from the seller-consultant or breeder);
- do not take birds younger than four weeks, because they may not be completely independent yet;
- parrots imported from the wild are more vociferous and noisy than birds raised in captivity.
Before you go to the store for a parrot, define a few main selection criteria.
- View. When buying birds for the first time, you should choose lovebirds, budgies or corellas. These representatives of birds are easy to care for, they are active and fun, easy to train and can even talk. Experienced owners can consider parrots of the macaw or cockatoo breed, but these birds require much more attention. Their character is complex and capricious.
- The size of the birds. Large breeds include: Amazon, Jacko, cockatoo and macaw. Medium – sized birds are Rosella, small birds are lovebirds, corellas and undulations. The main thing when choosing the size of a parrot is to take into account the size of the room in which the bird will be kept, the dimensions of the cage or aviary.
- Male/female. The former are characterized by rapid learning and activity, while the females, on the contrary, are slower and more docile.
- Budget. Corellas, budgies, or lovebirds are the most affordable option for home breeding. Exotic birds are much more expensive than the first group of birds.
Types and breeds
Common parrots to keep at home:
Wavy — the perfect choice for a beginner
Minimal care and maintenance costs make this bird so common. Choose feathered friends as follows:
— male parrots have black lines on the frontal part and back, which disappear completely after molting;
— eye color – black;
— young birds have a darker bill than adults.
An interesting feature of this species is the strong attachment of the female and male. They do everything in pairs – drink and eat, brush their feathers, play and relax. These birds have bright green plumage, and they have a red stripe on their forehead and breast.
Chicks are easier to train than adults. A distinctive feature of the Chicks is the black base of the beak and a lighter color of the feathers.
Easy to learn, kind and talkative birds. The color of the feathers is lemon, with bright orange spots on the cheeks. How to choose a feathered friend:
— to teach a parrot to talk, its age at purchase should not exceed 5 weeks. As a rule, Chicks are not afraid of people and go to the hands themselves;
— young birds have gray stripes on their tails, which disappear after the first molt;
— the beak of adult birds is light, while that of young birds is dark grey.
Experienced poultry breeders can safely buy this wonderful smart parrot. Jaco easily memorize more than 100 words and can easily play the melodies of songs. These birds are quite large, the color of the feathers is gray, the tail has a reddish color.
What you should pay attention to when choosing an exotic parrot:
— buy birds no older than five months and only from trusted breeders. Chicks born in captivity are easy – going, kind and learn quickly enough. Wild birds are aggressive and capricious;
— the color of the eyes in babies is dark, in adults the iris is yellow. In young Chicks, before the first molt, you can see gray spots on the plumage.
Boy or girl?
Many owners, thinking about a feathered friend, can not determine who is preferable for them – a boy or a girl? Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, for example:
Male parrots are more colourful plumage.
They are energetic and restless, shouting loudly, trying to attract as much attention as possible. Different species of birds have their own signs of sex determination, for example, wavy males have a waxy blue-lilac color, evenly colored; the Jacko has a longer beak and a larger head. In corellas, sex can only be determined after three months, since at this age the males begin to sing. After molting, male corellas turn gray with bright orange cheeks.
Female parrots are often quiet and calm.
You can determine the gender of different breeds of birds by the following characteristics:
- female budgerigars have brown waxwork with light spots around the nostrils;
- Jacko females have light colored belly feathers, their head is slightly smaller, and their paws are spread wider compared to males;
- a Corella girl will not sing like a male when she reaches the age of 3 months. And after molting, the color of its feathers will acquire a light lemon hue.
Parrots for children
If you decide to give your child a gift in the form of a feathered friend, it is best to give a budgie. This amazing bird species is unpretentious, calm and easy to learn. Small birds easily remember words, love children and do not make a lot of noise.
On the second place in popularity are the lovebirds. They are beautiful and bright, but it is difficult to teach them to talk.
Corellas are peaceful and like to play with children, they can learn to speak. But they do not like being alone, if they are left alone, they start shouting.
The most interesting interlocutors are Jacko parrots. It is believed that their mind corresponds to the mind of a five-year-old child. They are happy to sing songs, tell poems and copy different voices with amazing accuracy. But, the content of such a bird requires certain rules. Their character is capricious, Jaco do not like changes, they like a quiet way of life. Even the most ordinary rearrangement of furniture can cause stress and depression, and in this state, birds begin to pluck their feathers.
Exotic macaws or cockatoos are too large, shout loudly, and barely speak (compared to jackos). But they learn quickly, can open their own cage and walk freely around the apartment.
When you become a parrot owner, you will learn how wonderful these birds can be. Funny, funny, tender and touching birds will become full-fledged family members. They are like small children in need of constant attention and care. And if you decide on a talking parrot, you will definitely not be bored!
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.