Many dog lovers believe that being a professional breeder is an easy and simple job. In fact, this is far from the case. Pet owners who decide to choose this direction will have to face some restrictions and difficulties. Of course, some breeders are unscrupulous about breeding animals: in order to make a profit, they simply knit Pets with the hope of a large litter. However, professional dog breeding is an art and a lot of work.
Basic rules for dog breeders
If an Amateur dog breeder decides to open his own business for breeding four-legged dogs, you must adhere to certain rules:
- Be the owner of a female that has a breeding permit from the Russian cynological Federation (RKF);
- Have documents with the pedigree of the dog (both for the female and for the male);
- Get a certificate of admission from the RKF for breeding;
- The age of a female at the time of submission of documents must be no more than 8 years, for males the age is not taken into account;
- The male and female must have high marks at RKF exhibitions (for the exterior);
- If service dogs participate in breeding, then it is necessary to pass certain tests that will reveal the professional suitability of the animal.
If all the rules are followed, special documents are issued for puppies, which are registered through the RKF, and then all the Pets are branded, and an act is drawn up for each. All puppies from the same litter get nicknames that start with the same letter.
What is a factory set-top box and why do I need it?
A professional dog breeder is a person who owns a bitch from the moment of mating to the moment of the litter being registered.
If an Amateur dog breeder decides to become a breeder and conduct breeding work, then he needs to issue a factory prefix.
The factory prefix is a letter combination that will be entered in the nickname of each born pet from a breeding dog. This combination is an integral part of the nickname for all dogs bred by the breeder, regardless of the breed. To get a prefix, you need to come up with a combination of letters yourself and fill out a special application form. As a rule, they come up with two different options to choose from.
Next, you need to pay the cash fee, then send all the necessary documents and a payment receipt to the regional RKF.
As soon as registration is completed, all breeder’s dogs, as well as their puppies, will receive a factory prefix in their personal pedigree documents.
After receiving all the documents, breeders begin to think about opening a kennel. This is not an easy task that requires investment of effort, time and material resources. Responsible dog lovers who have veterinary qualifications or work in pairs with veterinarians, regularly undergo training at the RKF – easily open good kennels.
What do I need to open a nursery? Please note the following points:
- determine the breed of breeding. In this case, breeders are guided not by the cost of the breed, but by personal long-term experience of caring for this type of dog. The owner of breeding dogs knows everything about them, that is, what diseases and viruses they are susceptible to, what food they prefer, how to care for and educate them, and so on;
- choosing a suitable breed, you need to carefully consider the device of the nursery. For example, barks and Yorkshire Terriers will have different conditions of stay. The most important thing is that the animals feel comfortable and safe.
The ideal place to open a kennel is a cottage outside the city with a large surrounding area, where you can arrange warm cages and a Playground for walking animals. In a remote place from the city, Pets will not interfere with anyone with their barking, and this is also a huge plus when arranging a suitable place for a kennel.
With small dogs, it is easier, since you can open a kennel even in an apartment, but re-equipment, reconstruction and paperwork can take a very long time.
To become a professional breeder at a cattery, according to the RKF regulations, you must:
- be the owner of a female that has a breeding permit (certificate from the RKF);
- have your own males;
- have a zootechnical education or dog training, confirmed by the relevant documents. You can complete courses run by the local Federation of Dog handlers;
- submit documents for registration of a factory letter prefix;
- to pay a cash contribution to the fédération Cynologique Internationale.
In addition, when the breeder opens a kennel, he can draw up acts and brand young puppies, process them, and keep a book of pedigreed dogs. And when the buyer comes for the first puppies, the breeder will provide all the necessary information and documentation.
To attract the attention of customers, experienced breeders use one proven advertising move – they hang diplomas, medals and photos of their Pets from exhibitions on the walls. People who come for a dog will certainly pay attention to the titles and awards. The presence of award attributes always inspires confidence, and if it is confirmed by the appropriate certificates and certificates, then buyers will not have any additional questions.
What do dogs need in a kennel?
After opening a kennel, many problems fall on the breeder’s shoulders, including the needs of animals. For a comfortable stay of dogs on the territory of the kennel, it is necessary to provide acceptable conditions of detention, namely:
- buy high-quality balanced food. Each individual has its own diet. For example, pregnant females need a more fortified food composition so that they can bear healthy offspring. Puppies and adult dogs also have different diets. Each age and breed has its own characteristics, and this should be taken into account when breeding;
- take all Pets to the veterinary clinic for vaccination, preventive examinations and various procedures;
- perform deworming at least twice a year;
- comb, wash, cut hair and claws;
- walking animals.
Observing all the above rules, all the dogs of the kennel will feel good and, as a result, will give the breeders a healthy numerous offspring.
People trust professional nurseries more than ordinary sellers without a name. But before opening a kennel, you should carefully weigh all the pros and cons, calculate your strength, money and time, so that you do not have to distribute the animals to shelters.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.