Dysbacteriosis in cats is a clinical syndrome that destroys the immune system and slowly depletes the body. The danger of this condition is that it goes unnoticed for quite a long time, and only breeders with extensive experience in keeping animals can differentiate it from food intoxication.
What is dysbiosis and what causes it
Dysbacteriosis (dysbiosis) is not a separate pathology, but a broad term denoting the replacement or death of bacteria that form the natural normal microflora. Their place is filled with pathogenic bacteria and E. coli and begin to develop rapidly.
The process involves all body systems, mucous membranes and muscles.
The factors causing goiter are considered:
- Poor conditions of detention (unbalanced diet, vitamin deficiency, predominance of fats and carbohydrates in food, insufficient humidification of indoor air, drafts, dry low-quality food, etc.).
- External reasons (change of residence, unfavorable environmental situation).
- Disorders of the hormonal system that can be caused by pregnancy, taking medications (including contraceptives).
- Liver and kidney failure.
- Psychoemotional stress. Stress can be associated with a change of owners, the appearance of another pet in the house, the loss of offspring, and other factors that negatively affect the animal’s psyche.
- Long-term, reusable antibiotic therapy is the most severe case of dysbiosis. As a rule, even one course of antibiotics is harmful to the animal. As a result, the normal microflora is replaced by pathogenic microorganisms that are resistant to the effects of medications.
- Worm infestation.
Dysbacteriosis can develop in any animal. The most susceptible to this condition are artificially bred cat breeds — Scottish, British, etc.
What is the danger of dysbiosis? To answer this question, you need to understand what function the intestinal microflora performs. This is a kind of protective barrier that protects the body from the effects of pathogenic bacteria, fungi, viruses.
In addition, it stimulates and activates the immune system in kittens, neutralizes and removes toxins from the body, regulates metabolism and the activity of the hormonal system.
If signs of dysbiosis are detected, it is necessary to contact a veterinarian as soon as possible, otherwise the pet’s body will be completely defenseless against pathogenic microorganisms that cause dangerous diseases.
The complexity of diagnosing pathology is that dysbacteriosis is skillfully disguised as other diseases.
To confirm or refute the diagnosis, the veterinarian needs to conduct a number of studies: urine and fecal analysis, blood biochemistry, smear for the presence of helminths, liver and pancreas tests.
Signs of pathology occur suddenly. The cat looks depressed, sickly, and does not show any activity. Appetite is absent or decreases, which is why the animal loses weight. Feces are liquid, sometimes with mucus and blood. It can be both diarrhea and constipation.
Wool loses its luster and does not look aesthetically pleasing. In representatives of long-haired breeds, the fur coat can significantly thin out.
In some cases, there is bloating and flatulence. Such a clinical picture gives every reason to suspect dysbacteriosis, especially if the cat was recently treated with antibiotics.
If the diagnosis of “dysbiosis” is confirmed by laboratory tests, then do not panic. This phenomenon is not very pleasant and it creates a certain danger for the body. However, the pathology is not transmitted to other animals and humans, it is successfully treated and does not cause complications.
The therapy lasts 1-2 months and is complex. Treatment is aimed at:
- cleansing the digestive tract;
- restoration of natural microflora;
- normalization of metabolism;
- strengthening the immune system;
- stabilization of the psychoemotional background.
With pronounced symptoms, the cat is given activated charcoal, Smekta. In General, medical treatment includes vitamin therapy, antihistamines, and means that strengthen the immune system. Hormonal, including contraceptives, are prohibited!
Cleansing the intestinal tract is done with the help of a drug Rather. The dosage is set by the veterinarian individually.
To restore the microflora, the pet is shown a special lightweight diet. The diet consists of fermented milk products. Such nutrition restores the microflora. The colonization of lacto-and fermented milk bacteria has a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
Prebiotics will become a nutrient substrate for useful microorganisms that displace pathogenic bacteria. They should also be in the diet. It is advisable to introduce products such as bananas, asparagus, Jerusalem artichoke into the cat’s menu. Of course, it is unlikely that fluffy will show interest in such food, but it is still worth adding them a little to the dishes.
Lactoferrin is used only if it is recommended by the specialist.
To strengthen the immune system, A neoferon solution is indicated, which is administered intramuscularly or subcutaneously.
It is very important to help the cat cope with stress, for which it is given sedatives. The preparation of plant origin “kot Bayun” has proven itself well. The composition includes mint, meadowsweet, sweet clover, motherwort, Valerian root, St. John’s wort, etc.
As for probiotics, normoflorins are mainly used. They effectively destroy pathogenic microorganisms and saturate the intestines with beneficial bacteria, renew the biosynthesis of vitamins B1, B2 and K. In addition, probiotics contribute to the formation of acetic and lactic acids, which promote good absorption of vitamins, iron, and fats.
Do not underestimate the severity of dysbiosis. If left untreated, cats may develop gastritis, pancreatitis, gastroenteritis, allergies, hepatitis, and respiratory diseases in parallel with the death of microflora. If the treatment was carried out in a timely and competent manner, the prognosis is usually favorable.
What to do at home
The owner must strictly follow the instructions of the veterinarian. All medications and their dosage are prescribed by a specialist of the clinic. Self-medication can worsen the situation and adversely affect your health.
The pet must be provided with good conditions and protected from drafts. The cat’s immune system is weakened, which means that there is a high risk of catching a viral disease or infection.
To save a four-legged pet from the accumulation of gases, you can give cumin or dill oil-3-5 drops a day. If the cat is suffering from constipation, then castor oil will help her.
To improve the appetite, a decoction of dill, Basil, yarrow, coriander is given. Herbs are mixed in equal proportions, filled with hot water, infused and filtered. 10 drops a day is enough for a cat.
Folk methods allow you to get rid of the symptoms of dysbiosis, but should not replace traditional treatment.
Dysbacteriosis can be prevented, just follow the simplest prevention measures known to every pet owner:
- Careful food selection. Using economy-class food does not help improve the health of Pets. They provoke abnormalities in the gastrointestinal tract and allergic manifestations.
- Prevention of feeding the cat food from “your table”. The diet should be balanced in terms of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
- Control of cat food. Often, the impetus for the development of dysbiosis is an accidentally swallowed fragment of the sausage shell and other synthetic materials.
- It is advisable to use bottled water instead of raw water.
- Antibiotics are taken only as prescribed by a veterinarian. An experienced doctor will never prescribe them unnecessarily. After use, recovery therapy (Pro – and prebiotics) is performed.
- Timely treatment of animals from parasites (1 time in three months). This applies not only to cats that visit the street, but also to Pets.
As for artificially bred breeds that are naturally prone to dysbiosis, it is advisable to give drugs with bifidobacteria and lactobacilli at least twice a year.
According to veterinarians, probiotic courses will not prevent even healthy animals, regardless of age. They will be the prevention of dysbacteriosis, to improve the metabolism and strengthen the body as a whole.