Domestic Canaries among domestic birds are the second most popular after parrots. And this is not surprising: small, friendly and beautiful birds are unpretentious in care, become a loyal friend of children and the whole family. Some singing Canaries have good hearing and can sing beautifully. There are no great difficulties in keeping it at home. It is enough to equip a comfortable cage for the bird, conduct water procedures, walk it and feed it correctly and in a balanced way. But, like any pet, Canaries have both advantages and disadvantages of being kept at home. We will tell you exactly which ones in detail in the article.
Canaries are a subspecies of the Canary Canary Finch, whose place of origin is considered to be the Canary Islands. In body size, they exceed their distant ancestor, although the weight of domestic individuals, as a rule, does not exceed 50 g. Body length (from crown to tail tip) – up to 22 cm. The color of birds is bright, variegated, and diverse.
Many different types of Canaries have been identified, which differ not only in the color of the feathers, but also in size. The most common plumage colors are yellow and orange. Carrying out breeding works helped to bring out birds of red color, with tufts and curlicues.
Canaries belong to the order of passerines, the order of songbirds, the family of finches. These amazing birds quickly learn at home and are willing to make contact with people. Peaceful and friendly Canaries have a melodious beautiful voice.
In the wild, they live mainly in groves and mixed forests. Nests are built at an altitude of about 1400-1600 meters above sea level. Birds feed in the wild mainly on insects, plant seeds and fruit.
Domestication of Canaries began around the middle of the 16th century, when the first representatives came from the Canary Islands to Europe. Since then, breeding and keeping these birds at home has become popular. Today, there are many different breeds of Canaries, and breeding work continues in many countries.
In 2007, the Russian Canary breed was officially registered in Russia.
The care and feeding of Canaries
The Canary is a very unpretentious bird. It is easy to tame, responsive and trusting to a person. With proper care, the breeder has no problems with home breeding of this bird.
Proper care of the Canary largely determines the physical and emotional state of the bird, its longevity and ability to reproduce.
If you are a novice poultry farmer, then having Canaries and Canaries is a good choice. These small birds are sociable, undemanding to the diet and their content.
Having decided to start birds, before buying, you need to choose the right cage. It is better to choose a cage with dimensions not less than 30x35x20 cm. Material of manufacture – wood and metal. These cages are sold in many pet stores. Inside the cage, place a feeder (preferably a pull-out type), a drinking bowl, toys, mirrors, perches. Canaries like to swim, so one of the main attributes in the cage is a container with water.
The cage should be placed away from the Windows to avoid drafts and direct sunlight. A bright, spacious room is ideal. General cleaning should be done twice a week, i.e. completely wash the cage, scald it with boiling water, treat all feeders, drinking bowls and other objects inside the cage.
Food food for Canaries is simple, but they need to be fed with a balanced vitamin feed, and it is desirable to feed them by the hour – every day at the same time. Pet stores offer a wide range of food.
Properly selected nutrition improves the condition of feathers, has a positive effect on immunity and increases life expectancy. The diet of domestic Canaries should include three main groups of products:
- Fresh products – fruits and vegetables. Dried fruits can be given as a top – up and “yummy” – birds love this delicacy.
- Cereals – buckwheat, wheat, oats, rice and millet.
- Foods rich in healthy vegetable fats: nuts, chestnuts, sunflower seeds and bran.
Dried insects, honey, cottage cheese with 0% fat content are suitable as an additional additive to the main food. You can also give fish oil. In winter, it is highly desirable to include in the diet dried plant products, such as birch branches, raspberries, currants.
It is forbidden to give Canaries the following products:
- persimmon and tropical fruits such as mango, avocado, papaya;
- spices and seasonings;
- salted, pickled, fatty, boiled and fried foods.
To prevent obesity in songbirds, you need to determine the rate of grain mixture per day. For adults, this is 15 g, and for young – 9-10 g. The amount of the mixture will depend on the age, type and condition of the bird.
After feeding fruit, all food remains must be removed from the cage. Otherwise, the food will spoil, and the birds can eat it and get poisoned.
To prevent the bird from being bored at home alone, a mirror and toys (bells, swings, houses) are placed in the cage.
Advantages and disadvantages of home maintenance
If you decide to have a pet, you should know both the positive and negative aspects. The positive ones include:
- Canaries are small birds, and small cages are suitable for them;
- the consumption of poultry food is minimal;
- the voice of Canaries is fascinating, their singing is multi-level and attractive;
- some breeders raise Canaries not only for their beautiful voice, but also for their unusual plumage;
- character – sociable and restless. Many owners claim that these birds become great friends and companions, along with cats and dogs.
The negative aspects may include:
- garbage in the form of food and feathers. When keeping Canaries, owners will have to carry out daily cleaning in the room with a cage;
- Birds have a high voice, and this can sometimes be a problem, especially if there are small children in the house;
- In order for birds to start singing beautifully, they need to be trained, i.e. they need to include the singing of other birds. If this is not done, the birds will make loud, repetitive, annoying sounds;
- Canaries are attached to people and need to communicate, so it is not recommended to leave them alone for a long time;
- Birds of this species are overly active and very curious. Therefore, when releasing them from the cage, it is necessary to close all Windows in advance and remove available liquids and food.
Even 500 years ago, our ancestors began to tame Canaries. During this time, their voice apparatus changed. Thanks to their beautiful singing, small bright birds have gained popularity and fame all over the world.
The health status of your favorite pet will depend on your attention and care. If you properly care for Canaries, they will live a long and happy life with you.