Everyone understands the discomfort that a violation of the chair creates. Dogs can also experience constipation, which negatively affects the state of the entire body, causing serious concern to the animal. The best way to get rid of the problem is an enema. Dog owners need to know in which cases this procedure is necessary, and how to conduct it correctly in order to reduce the stress level for the dog and achieve the desired result.
Symptoms of constipation
It is often impossible to put an enema. This will lead to a weakening of the natural functions of bowel movement. You should study the symptoms by which you can determine a violation of the chair. There are several pronounced signs of constipation in a dog:
- bloating, rumbling;
- when defecating, feces come out in small quantities, it is dry, hard, and has the shape of balls;
- there is no defecation, although the dog sits down and pushes hard;
- appetite worsens, nausea and vomiting are not excluded;
- when you touch the pet’s belly, it shows that it is unpleasant;
- the General condition is depressed, there is no activity, the dog does not want to follow commands even for a favorite treat.
The presence of constipation may be indicated by the absence of defecation for 3 days, subject to normal nutrition.
An enema can be used to fight constipation no more than three times a month. If stool disorders occur regularly, you should make a visit to a veterinary clinic. The specialist will determine the cause of constipation, select laxatives for the dog, and the optimal dosage.
This procedure should preferably be performed in the morning, within an hour after getting up, if the pet could not empty the intestines on a walk. If you have to do an enema in the afternoon or evening, you need to wait about two hours after feeding. On a full stomach, the procedure can not be performed.
An enema is a simple procedure, but it also has contraindications. You can’t do it if:
- there are parasites;
- the body is dehydrated;
- there are cracks in the intestines, hemorrhoids, intestinal ulcers;
- acute inflammation of the digestive system is observed.
You can not do it to dogs that have cancerous tumors in the intestines, internal bleeding, or pregnant bitches.
There are several symptoms that can be used to determine that the procedure should not be performed on a pet. Enema is contraindicated if the dog has:
- increased temperature (normal indicator in puppies 39.5°C, in adults – 39°C);
- increased feeling of thirst;
- the mucous membranes have a bluish tint, they are dry;
- blood is released from the anus;
- increased pressure (normal values depend on the size, are 95-135/60-100);
- tachycardia (norm for puppies – 220, for older dogs – 110, for an adult dog – 130 beats per minute);
- coordination is disrupted;
- convulsions are observed;
- nausea and vomiting;
- severe abdominal pain, the dog does not allow you to touch the abdominal area;
- breathing is heavy even in the absence of movement.
If there are such signs, you should immediately contact a veterinarian. They can be the result of serious diseases, internal bleeding, etc.
Devices and tools for the procedure
You need to prepare for the bowel cleansing procedure so that everything you need is at hand. It will require:
- water or a solution of;
- cream or vaseline;
- surgical gloves;
- diapers, Newspapers;
- basin of the required capacity;
- the dog’s accessories (collar or harness, muzzle, leash).
If an enema is given to a puppy, you can use a 10 ml syringe. Small dogs enema is done with a 100 ml syringe, medium-sized animals will need a 200 ml syringe. A large pet needs a special device called an Esmarch mug. The device looks like a hot water bottle with a tube and a tip.
The procedure can use boiled water, cooled to 30°C. It is advisable not to rely on your feelings, measure this indicator with a thermometer. If the dog has a complex constipation, solutions should be used instead of water. It can be:
- boiled water with salt or soda (in a glass of water, dilute a tablespoon of the product);
- strained, cooled broth of St. John’s wort or pharmacy chamomile, made from a glass of water and a tablespoon of dried flowers;
- solution with vaseline oil or glycerin (add a tablespoon of the product to a glass of water);
- water solution with fish oil (for a glass of cooled boiling water, a tablespoon of the product).
Vaseline or cream will be required to lubricate the tip of the syringe before administration. Before the procedure, the dog must wear a collar or harness, muzzle, leash, because how the pet behaves is unknown. Adult large Pets alone will not be able to put an enema. You need an assistant to keep the dog. The owner needs to be calm, attentive, you can not yell at the dog, increasing stress.
The sequence of the procedure
The procedure should preferably be carried out in the bathroom. First you need to prepare a basin in which feces will be collected. Floors need to be laid, for which use old Newspapers, absorbent diapers. The thickness and number of layers depend on the size of the animal. After preparation, you can start the procedure. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- fill a syringe, douche bag, or Esmarch mug with prepared water or solution;
- fix the Esmarch mug at a height of 1 meter;
- apply vaseline or cream to the tip of the syringe;
- put on a dog collar or harness, muzzle;
- gently lay your pet on its side;
- pet the dog, put him to rest;
- wear surgical gloves;
- the assistant must hold the animal’s neck and front paws;
- pour some water from the enema to remove the air;
- insert the tip into the anal opening to the optimal depth (for puppies – 1 cm, for medium – sized dogs – 2 cm, for large individuals-4 cm);
- slowly, gradually introduce the solution into the intestines;
- after the procedure, carefully remove the tip.
The liquid should be distributed efficiently through the intestines, for which the animal needs to lie quietly for a quarter of an hour. If the dog has a tail, you should close the anal opening with it. After that, the animal should get up, you can remove the muzzle and harness. At this point, defecation should begin, so you need to move the pelvis, put the dog’s hind legs in it. After the liberation of the intestine, you can do the cleaning to remove the seals. If the dog is good at bathing, it is worth performing this procedure after an enema. The pet also deserved generous praise for its endurance and patience.
Enema is not considered to be a very complicated procedure. But keep in mind that if there are problems with the infusion of liquid, there is a feeling that it collides with something solid, spills out, you need to stop manipulating. The dog’s intestines may be very full of worms or there may be a foreign object in it. Filling the gut with water can damage it. If there is no defecation after the enema or there is blood in the feces, you should immediately contact a veterinary clinic.
Prevention of constipation
Dog owners should pay attention to the prevention of constipation, especially if the pet has periodic violations of the chair. Help reduce the risk of problems:
- activity, daily long walks;
- proper, age-appropriate, balanced nutrition;
- regular treatment for parasites;
- timely treatment of diseases of the digestive system, infectious diseases.
It is necessary to ensure that the dog’s body does not get foreign bodies: polyethylene, parts of toys, foam, etc.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.