Often fans of furry Pets ask the question: is it possible to cut cats? The answer is clear – Yes, it is possible, sometimes even necessary! Grooming of cats is becoming more and more popular. The reasons are dictated by the need to create a full-fledged pet coat care. And if you approach creatively, the animal gets an interesting image.
Is it true that cats can be cut
For cats that live in the private sector and spend a lot of time outdoors, you can not do without careful care. After a walk, the pet can return not only with dirty, but also with hair piled in lumps. In this case, the scissors will come to your aid. And if your pet has a long, thick coat, then to avoid such troubles, it makes sense to make a beautiful haircut with the onset of the warm season.
If the cat is domestic, and you have enough time, effort and patience to take care of the pet’s fur every day and keep it clean and tidy, you can avoid going to the “cat” hairdresser – groomer. Even if there is no need to cut the pet, it is advisable to use a fuminator or fluffer, they comb out the dead undercoat without touching the live one.
Why do I need a haircut
Owners of furry Pets have different opinions on this issue. Some are categorically against this procedure, because they sincerely believe that the haircut disfigures the cat. And others do not just take their pet to the hairdresser, but also adhere to a constant schedule.
There are several main reasons why cats need a haircut:
- Due to the increased body temperature of cats in comparison with humans, they can easily tolerate hot summer weather, but if the temperature outside exceeds 35-40 degrees, cats begin to feel bad. If you decide to cut your pet’s hair to make his life easier, follow certain rules, and it is better to contact a specialist. It will calculate the necessary length of fur that you need to leave your pet so that it does not become vulnerable to direct sunlight or catch a cold from drafts and air conditioning.
- The appearance of bald spots on the pet’s body often frighten owners and lead to unplanned haircuts. But when the hair grows back, the receding hairline remains. In this case, hairdressing services are not able to solve the problem, contact your veterinarian to find the cause and start timely treatment.
- During molting, caring for a cat takes a lot of time and effort, and cleaning an apartment where wool is constantly flying does not bring pleasure. There is an opinion that if you cut the animal, the problem will be solved. This is a mistake – overgrown, the cat will start shedding again. If the molting time is prolonged, contact your veterinarian. The specialist will find the reason, perhaps it is high humidity in the room, stress in the pet, improper feeding.
- Not all owners find a common language with their pet, cats simply do not allow themselves to be combed. Thus, tangles form on the animal’s body, which tighten the skin, cause itching, and cause discomfort. Under the tangle, a nest is formed for fleas, fungi and various infections. If your cat has a thick, long coat, pay special attention to its care.
- Another reason is the cohabitation of a cat and a person with diseases of the upper respiratory tract, with allergies. Grooming cats will help Allergy sufferers and asthmatics avoid the trigger (a factor that causes suffocation and exacerbation of the disease).
- It happens that the pet is sick or too old. If the animal can’t properly care for its fur, a haircut will also help.
- Pets need to be cut to be just beautiful! This is especially true before exhibitions. Groomer will help you cope with a model haircut. It can be original, emphasizing the pet’s personality.
Should I cut my pet’s hair or not?
The cat gets stressed during the haircut, which can lead to unpleasant consequences. However, the determining factor is the climate in which you live, and where the pet spends most of its time — outdoors or indoors. When it is very hot outside and you want to help a four-legged friend, a haircut will not be superfluous. Despite the obvious benefits (especially for long-haired cats), the haircut has some disadvantages. A shorn animal is less adaptable to changes in temperature. Cats walking on the street can overheat in the sun, because their skin will not be protected by wool, and the pet may catch a cold. Therefore, you should not get involved in this procedure. It is necessary to organize proper care for the hair, so you can avoid the formation of tangles and, as a result, the appearance of skin diseases.
Everything you need for a haircut
Of course, to cut a cat, it is better to contact specialists, but a simple haircut can be done independently at home. The coat of different cat breeds varies in length, stiffness and density, and each pet will need its own approach. You will need:
- Table (you can use an Ironing Board);
- Hair clipper (preferably with veterinary attachment # 3);
- Hydrogen peroxide or iodine (in case of accidental injury to the pet’s skin).
Before you start grooming a cat, be sure to trim its claws.
How to properly cut a cat’s hair
When cutting, it is advisable to find an assistant. He will keep the animal lying on its side, with one hand controlling the front paws, and the second – the hind legs. It is necessary to fix the pet on the table surface quite rigidly — because of fear, the cat will break out, and the sound of the working machine will provoke it to escape. Try to use a noiseless typewriter. It is necessary to cut cats according to a certain algorithm: start the haircut from the sides, back and abdomen, go to the armpits, then – the back. Then follow the paws, if you wish, you can leave “socks”. It is not necessary to cut the tail, but if you decide to put it in order, leave a brush at the end.
If you decide to cut the cat against the growth of hair, use scissors and a special machine, setting the depth of the haircut from 3 to 4 mm, which will exclude injury to the skin of the animal. Do not forget to stretch the animal’s skin in the area of passing the machine.
Haircut against wool differs in that a larger amount of wool is removed in one pass, but for the animal this method is mentally traumatic.
After finishing the haircut, wipe the cat with wet wipes, or better – bathe to wash off the remaining hair. Now all the fears are over, and she is ready to return to her usual life.
This process is not simple, it has many nuances, not all animals tolerate a haircut calmly. If you don’t have enough skills for self-grooming a pet, it’s best to contact a groomer: go to a special salon or call home.
Recommendations for haircuts and grooming
- Growing cat hair after a haircut changes its structure and color.
- It is not necessary to cut the belly and back of cats with color point and tipping-the growing hair is several shades darker.
- It is possible that the growing hair may not reach its original length.
- It is strictly forbidden to cut hair in the ears. Also, do not touch the hair on the head and mustache with scissors!
- Especially active Pets are recommended to trim with the use of sedatives. Do not do this yourself, contact a specialized salon.
Short – haired Pets can be combed once a week, and bathed-at your request. Long-haired cats should be washed at least once every 2 months and thoroughly combed every day.
Experts recommend cutting the hair of cats when its length is more than 3 cm. About the possibility or necessity of cutting short – haired cats, it is better to consult with specialists.
Cat grooming is a useful procedure that helps us and our Pets. It’s up to you to decide whether to cut your hair yourself or get help from a professional. The most important thing is that your decision should be considered and bring our Pets benefit and comfort.