Today, pet stores offer a wide range of clothing for Pets. In most cases, clothing is intended for dogs, but some also purchase outfits for cats and cats. You will learn how to choose the right clothes for your pet in the article below.
Cat clothing – a necessity or a whim?
Even the ancient Egyptians used clothing for cats. It was in Egypt that cats were especially revered and appreciated. They were presented with precious stones, delicious food and expensive clothes. Despite the fact that the deification of cats remained in the distant past, some features of their content have survived to our days.
It is necessary to dress Pets not only for the sake of beauty or the whim of the owner, but also to protect the body from hypothermia, overheating, precipitation and drafts. Of course, not all four-legged friends will need clothing items: some breeds have a thick wool cover and a thick undercoat, so they do not need insulation. What can not be said about sphinxes and smooth-haired cats, they need protection from the harsh Russian winters.
The vulnerable category also includes kittens, old Pets, and animals that have undergone surgery with extensive hair cutting.
In any case, a horse blanket is put on a four-legged friend after the operation, so that the animal does not lick or comb the wound. In this case, the medical bandage also protects the cat from cold and drafts.
Sphinxes are dressed not only in winter, but also in summer. To protect Pets from the scorching sun, cotton t-shirts are used. If this is not done, the skin of sphinxes and the Wallflowers will become dry and covered with spots.
Clothing saves cats who are accustomed to walking on the street, not only from precipitation, but also from contamination of wool and parasites. In the latter case, there is no 100% guarantee of protection, but the protective coverall significantly reduces the risk of disease. To protect the cat from accidental connections with other animals, you can also put on a protective suit, and then the owner will not have to solve the problem with kittens.
Some owners dress up their Pets in beautiful holiday outfits, which in everyday life are not quite convenient for permanent wear. As a rule, this is done for participation in exhibitions and photo sessions.
Materials and requirements
The main materials in the manufacture of clothing for cats are:
- cotton and linen fabrics, calico – ideal for sewing summer clothes. Thanks to excellent thermoregulation, the animal feels good, even on the hottest summer day. The only negative – after washing clothes shrink and crumple strongly;
- synthetic materials are ideal for sewing elegant holiday costumes. In everyday wear, this type of material is not used because of the low air permeability;
- wool, knitwear – for winter clothing options. For example, mohair has high breathability and perfectly warms, does not cause allergies in Pets.
The material of things intended for walking is combined – for example, they combine water-repellent fabrics with a sintepon filler. These fabrics are easy to wash, they dry quickly and practically do not crumple. The top layer of clothing (especially for spring and autumn) is made of Bolognese fabric or raincoat. It perfectly repels moisture and protects the animal’s fur from contamination.
For everyday clothing options, you need to choose light fabrics that will not restrict the movement of the animal. If the material of the suit will cling or cause any inconvenience, the pet may be injured during active games.
Home clothing for daily use must meet the following requirements:
- easy to erase;
- fabrics should be strong and light. In the process of socks, cats often cling to clothes with their claws, and in order not to tear the outfit, the material must be strong enough;
- minimal accessories (i.e. avoid the presence of an excessive number of rivets, buttons, zippers, clasps and ruffles);
- seams and fasteners must be made secret. Buttons should not be sewn on at all, the animal can tear them off and swallow them.
Manufacturers of pet products in addition to food, vitamins and other attributes, also offer a wide selection of outfits. For example:
- Overalls, jackets and raincoats are protective clothing for a four – legged friend from cold, rainy and dirty weather.
- T – shirt, shirt-suitable for use at home or in the warmer months. This type of clothing protects the pet from excessive overheating and harmful parasites (ticks, mosquitoes and fleas);
- Blanket, vest – an indispensable outfit for walking or in the postoperative period;
- Bathrobe – put on the pet after a bath and water treatments;
- Protective body – prevents accidental mating of a cat with a male;
- Original costumes and dresses – for exhibitions and photo sessions;
- Hats and boots – used either in cold, dirty weather, or for exhibitions and photo shoots.
How do I determine the product size?
Each pet has its own structure and body size. When choosing clothes, you should focus not only on the physical parameters of the animal, many nuances depend on the breed and age of the pet.
How do I determine the correct size? Take a centimeter and measure your furry friend. The necessary measurements:
- neck circumference – measure at the widest point;
- chest circumference (measure under the front legs);
- length on the back from the withers to the base of the tail;
- head circumference (for hats).
Cat clothing sizes are classified according to the length of the back:
- 30 cm (XXS);
- 33 cm (XS);
- 35 cm (S);
- 37 cm (M);
- 40 cm (L);
- 45 cm (XL);
Purchased clothing should be durable, comfortable and practical. High-quality items after washing “do not sit down”, do not stretch and do not crumple much. When choosing clothes for your pet, consider the time of year: in winter, warm clothes will be the best option, and for the autumn-spring period, microfiber and raincoat will suit. In summer, it is best to buy breathable outfits.
How to train your pet to dress up?
It is best to train the animal to wear clothes from an early age. Adult cats negatively perceive clothing and take a long time to get used to it.
Start with a simple one – choose a convenient item. When a four – legged friend is in the mood, put this thing on him. Wait a few minutes and observe the reaction. If the kitten starts to resist – immediately remove your clothes. Repeat the experiment in a couple of days. Do not forget to encourage and support your pet with a treat and a kind word.
If the animal makes contact, put clothes on it several times a day. After a couple of days, the pet will get used to it, and will be calm about clothes.
The main thing in training is calmness and patience. Do not insist or force the animal, such actions can develop a negative reflex to all outfits. In the first place should be the needs of a beloved four-legged friend, and not the desires and whims of the owner.