For cats, as well as for other animals, the sense of smell is one of the most important senses, even despite the famous cat’s vision. After all, you can not see the prey, but feel its smell. By the smell, you can find out if someone was on their territory, and who exactly it was. By and large, the sense of smell can be considered the second sight in animals, so important is the role it plays in their lives.
Smell for a cat is everything
Everything starts from the very first days of life. After all, newborn kittens are completely blind. How do they then accurately find the milk nipples of a mother cat? By smell, of course. By smell, the mother cat itself distinguishes kittens from the same litter, and the kittens themselves distinguish each other and all surrounding objects.
Cats mark their territory with special odorous liquids that secrete glands on the muzzle and near the tail. That is why cats often rub their faces against objects. Including about the owners, they also mark them as something that is on their territory and is their property.
Cats find a cat that is ready to mate by smell, and cats find the most suitable cat for themselves. The smell also identifies whose territory the cat is currently on, or whether a stranger is present in its own domain.
Parting with the usual smells causes the cat quite a lot of stress. This is why it is so difficult for your Pets to survive moving, buying new furniture, and especially repairs. After all, if when moving or buying a new sofa, the smells remain more or less natural, then during the repair, the smells of paints and other building materials can simply drive the poor animal crazy. Therefore, it is better to take the cat to the dacha or to another house during perestroika.
It should be noted that the shape of cat noses depends on the breed. It is clear that the nose of a Siamese or Siberian cat will be much larger than the nose of a Persian. A nose with a hump in the Burmese cat can be safely described as aristocratic or “Roman”.
The device of the cat’s nose
A cat’s nose, like a human’s, consists of two nasal channels separated by cartilage. When the cat draws in air, it gets into special nasal chambers. There it passes through winding channels, lingering in them for some time. During this delay, the air in these channels, there is a recognition of odors.
The cells that are responsible for recognition are bottle-shaped and end in several sensitive hairs. And the hairs are covered with mucus, in which all odorous substances are dissolved. These analyzer cells are directly connected to the cat’s olfactory part of the brain.
In addition to the analytical function, the sinuses also perform a kind of filter and air conditioner function. The air passing through them is heated and cleaned of dust and bacteria. For sniffing unfamiliar objects, cats use a specific organ called the “Jacobson tube”. This tube can simultaneously identify not only the smell, but also the taste. This organ is located above the upper palate. The cat uses it when it inhales air through its mouth.
In this case, the upper lip is raised, and the incisors are exposed. Perhaps you have seen this in your pet and remember this rather funny grimace, vaguely resembling a grin.
Although the cat’s sense of smell is not up to the dog’s, it is definitely better than the human’s many times. Therefore, your Pets can react quite painfully to many odors. Which, by the way, you won’t even feel. In this regard, it is not necessary to wash the cat’s bowl with dishwashing liquid. Because what for us is a barely perceptible pleasant smell, for cats something akin to a gas attack. And even if you use detergent, try to rinse out the remnants of it as thoroughly as possible from the bowl.
Agree, you will be unpleasant if someone pours a bottle of perfume into your food. So the cat is unpleasant extra odors present in its food and completely discourage appetite.
Also, the nose is a kind of indicator of health. Have you ever heard the expression “wet nose is a healthy dog”? This also applies to cats. In a healthy animal, the nose should be cool and moist. Humidity is provided by a special secret and during licking.
In addition, maintaining body temperature at an optimal level also occurs through the nose and mouth. After all, cats only sweat pads on their paws, and this is too little for full heat exchange.
You’ve probably noticed that cats ‘ noses are rough. But every cat has its own unique pattern on the nose. Such uniqueness is akin to human fingerprints. Just as it is impossible to find two persons with identical fingerprints, it is impossible to find two cats with the same pattern on the nose. This feature can be used for animal recognition.
The color of the nose depends on the cat’s color in General. Some breeds of cats differ in that the lobes of their noses have a dark border. Such a natural “eyeliner”, for example, can boast of the chinchilla breed.
Interesting facts about cat nose
- Cats love the smell of garlic and onions, but they can’t stand the smell of orange, mint, lavender, tea tree and mothballs.
- The smell of garlic and onions is used as aromatic additives in cat food.
- A cat with a cold may not eat anything not only because of poor health, but also because of nasal congestion. This is due to the fact that the olfactory receptors in cats are much more than taste. Therefore, the smell of food is much more important to them than its taste. Therefore, for a cat with a cold, any food will be tasteless due to the lack of smell.
- In older cats, the nose is almost always warm and dry. And this does not indicate any disease of the animal, but the poor functioning of the glands that provide moisture to the nose.
- The cat’s nose is used as a thermometer. With its help, the cat can determine the temperature of the food offered. Therefore, if your pet sniffs each portion of food, it not only checks it for edibility, but also determines its temperature.
- It is strongly not recommended to poke a cat’s face in a bowl of food, even for educational purposes. Unless you want your pet to lose her sense of smell as soon as possible. In this case, poke and often, very soon you will achieve your goal.
- Folk legend says that if a cat covers its nose with its paws,it will soon get cold.
Take care of your Pets ‘ noses. After all, your cat’s well-being and even its life depends on the sense of smell. A cat that has lost its sense of smell can no longer fully exist, and most of the information passes by it.