You can hear sneezing not only from people, but also from Pets. Our mustachioed-striped Pets often sneeze when they get into a dusty corner and the dust gets into their nose, but if this happens all the time, the cat is leaking from the nose and eyes, he coughs, then the problem is clearly not simple and requires the intervention of specialists.
What should I do if a cat sneezes? What was the reason? These are the questions we will try to answer in this article.
Causes of sneezing
There are a large number of pathologies in which the cat often sneezes:
- Allergic reaction to dust, household chemicals, tobacco smoke, food, etc. Allergens, getting on the nasal mucosa, irritate it, causing sneezing, while the eyes may still water.
- Infection with parasites is also the reason that a cat sneezes. This process can often be triggered by Toxoplasma or dirofilariasis, and is accompanied by high fever and cough.
- The presence of a foreign body in the nasal passages, for example, a piece of food, tray filler, etc. may get stuck in the nose. At the same time, the cat rubs its muzzle with its paws and breathes heavily through its nose, and if the object has injured the mucous membrane, it sneezes with blood.
- A cat sneezes and coughs when infected with a bacterial or viral infection. This is indicated by additional symptoms of the disease — fever, watery eyes.
- Neoplasms in the nasal cavity-polyps do not allow the cat to breathe freely, so it sneezes and breathes with its mouth open.
- Malignant tumors are the most dangerous disease accompanied by sneezing. In this case, when sneezing, blood may be released from the nose, the General condition of the cat worsens.
- If the cat sneezes, it may have asthma, but then the animal will also have attacks of suffocation, in which it needs quick help.
- After hypothermia, the cat catches a cold — it constantly sneezes, snot flows from the nose, eyes water, and a cough may appear.
- Diseases of the gums and teeth can also make the cat sneeze, but it also becomes difficult for him to chew, so he refuses to eat and loses weight.
Now we see that it is almost impossible to independently determine why a cat sneezes, since there are many reasons for this.
What should I do?
The best thing you can do for your pet is to take it to the veterinarian, who will find out why the disease appeared. However, some owners try to treat the cat at home. Such help is like playing roulette, because the owner does not know exactly what caused the disease.
A combination of sneezing with the following symptoms should cause particular concern to the host:
- discharge of blood from the nose;
- depressed state of the cat;
- elevated temperature;
- reducing the animal’s body weight;
- ulcers and rashes on the cat’s skin;
- copious lacrimation;
- discharge of pus from the nasal passages and eyes;
- wheezing and whistling when breathing;
- changing behavior;
This combination indicates that your pet is not just allergic to dust, but a serious illness. Moreover, some of the cat diseases can be transmitted to humans.
So, if a cat sneezes and her eyes water, what should I do in this case? Do not wait for it to pass by itself, but go to a veterinary clinic, where your pet will have a full examination.
How do I find out why a cat has a runny nose?
In the veterinary clinic, the doctor will tell you the causes of the disease and prescribe treatment after a series of events:
- Examination of a sick animal, which includes: examination of the mouth and throat, temperature measurement, probing of the lymph nodes and stomach of the cat.
- Study of the history of the disease from the words of the owner: when the cat got sick, how the disease began, how many days it is sick, how it behaves, etc.
- Conducting General and biochemical blood tests and urinalysis.
- If necessary, the doctor may recommend a smear from the cat’s nose or throat.
- If the veterinarian suspects the presence of polyps or malignant neoplasms in the nose, then an endoscopy of the nasal passages or an x-ray of the head will be required for accurate diagnosis.
After all the results are received, the veterinarian will give an accurate answer to the question:”Why does the cat sneeze and his eyes water?”.
How to treat?
After the diagnosis, the doctor will give you recommendations for the treatment of a furry pet:
- If the cause is an Allergy, then they will prescribe antihistamines and advise the owner to do wet cleaning of the house more often, as well as hide household chemicals away, exclude Smoking in the house, try to change the food or filler in the tray, i.e. exclude contact of the cat with potential allergens.
- Infectious or viral diseases are treated with antibacterial or antiviral drugs, and in order to speed up recovery, it is recommended to take vitamins and immunomodulators. Moreover, medications can be either in tablet form or in the form of injections.
- Asthma is a fairly serious disease, so if your cat is diagnosed with it, it will most likely need to take special medications for life. If you follow all the appointments of veterinarians, the cat will have a chance to live a long life.
- Polyps in the cat’s nose can not be cured therapeutically, so the cat will have to undergo a small operation. With a malignant neoplasm, you may also need surgery, but the prognosis for recovery will not be very good.
- After treating gum and dental diseases, your cat will forget about sneezing caused by this problem.
- If the cause of the pathology is parasites, then the cat will need to be treated for worms. The veterinarian will recommend a certain drug that helps to get rid of those helminths that cause sneezing.
As you can see, it is very difficult to decide on treatment yourself until the cause of the disease is known.
What to do at home to prevent sneezing in a cat? First, get rid of dust more often and exclude contact of the cat with sharply smelling substances, as well as try not to overcool your pet, regularly give him all preventive vaccinations and carry out treatment against parasites.
From our article, you learned what to do if a cat sneezes and has snot, and we hope that this will help you in a difficult situation. In the meantime, we just wish your Pets to be healthy.