Many cat owners have at least once faced the problem of proper pet care after surgery. Medical blanket provides reliable protection of the wound on the animal’s body. You can buy a fixing bandage at a pet store or sew it yourself.
Types of blankets and their purpose
Pet stores offer a large selection of blankets for cats. Among themselves, they differ not only in size, but also in the material of manufacture, cut and purpose. So, protective clothing for cats is divided into:
- Warm blankets for protection from the cold. Mainly used for short – haired breeds of cats and sphinxes. Owners put tank tops on their Pets when taking them for a walk.
- Blankets for the house, in order to protect the owners from molting the animal. This is especially true for people who are sensitive to various allergens. In addition, many owners do not want to constantly clean the apartment from a large amount of wool. Sphinxes also wear light cotton blankets to protect their furniture from stains. The fact is that bald cats have an unpleasant feature – high sweating. Therefore, light clothing or a tank top perfectly copes with secretions and abundant shedding of wool.Some models of home blankets are also necessary for the care of seriously ill Pets. In cats with breast tumors, in order to avoid combing the affected area, the owners put a blanket on the four-legged friend for permanent wear. For the convenience of wearing and removing the ties on the blanket, replace the zipper.
- Saddle cloths-raincoats. This type of clothing is used when walking in cloudy and “dirty” weather. Material of manufacture – nylon and vinyl chloride. Use such protective ammunition only on the street.
- Postoperative blankets. They were an excellent substitute for Elizabethan collars. Previously, after surgical interventions, cats were put on collars. But this device is not very convenient. The pet can’t eat properly and move around the house with a collar, and as a result, recovery takes longer. The postoperative blanket was the salvation of all domestic cats. The animal feels well after the operation in protective clothing, is recovering faster and can move freely around the apartment.
How to choose the right blanket for a cat?
If your cat is going to have an operation, then you need to choose a blanket before surgery. Your pet will quickly get used to the protective bandage, and in the postoperative period will feel much calmer. Buy two sets at once, so that you can replace the blanket in case of contamination.
Pet stores offer several types of blankets, they differ in the material of manufacture and size.
The material for making protective clothing is non – woven fabric. It is dense, and if you cut it, it does not crumble, perfectly absorbs various secretions and liquid, thereby leaving the damaged area dry. After several washes, it does not stretch.
When choosing a protective postoperative bandage for a cat, give preference to natural fabrics, they provide air flow to the affected area.
To choose the right size, you need to weigh the pet, measure the girth of the sternum. Correctly chosen bandage leaves a small part of the open back (up to 9 cm). The volume is regulated by ties. Standard models of blankets for cats up to 5 kg start with a size of 38 cm (body length) and a chest circumference of 30 cm. For Pets over 5 kg suitable bandages size 42×35 cm.
According to the method of fixing blankets also have some differences. Basically, they sell bandages with ties that are fixed on the animal’s back. Less popular models with Velcro instead of ties. These models are suitable in cases of temporary wearing of a blanket, for example, after sterilization or castration. The most convenient are considered dense blankets with a zipper. They are convenient to remove and put on, they do not unbutton and do not restrict the movement of the pet. But compared to regular ties, zip ties are a little more expensive.
Horse blanket with your own hands
If you want to sew a blanket for your pet yourself, then you will not have any difficulties. It is easy to sew, and you can always find detailed diagrams and patterns on the Internet. The fabric for the bandage is best selected from your old things. The cat, feeling the familiar smell from the fabric, will feel much more confident and calmer.
To make a postoperative bandage, you will need:
- calico or calico;
- tools for work: pins, needles, thread, scissors, pencils and ruler.
The size of the pet is removed with a tailor’s centimeter. Measurements that are necessary for modeling the pattern:
- chest circumference;
- length from the withers to the beginning of the tail;
- the girth of the peritoneum;
- distance between front and hind legs.
When cutting out details, do not forget about the allowance of 0.5 cm. Before you start sewing, if you bought a new fabric, be sure to wash it so that it shrinks.
Cut out the details, sew them together, process the edges on a typewriter, sew the fixing ropes. If desired, change the rope to a zipper.
When preparing for the operation, prepare several blankets for the shift in advance, so that your cat feels comfortable.
How to use a blanket correctly?
The bandage is put on the cat immediately after the operation, while the animal has not yet recovered from anesthesia. Before tying the blanket, a napkin with antiseptic is applied to the wound. The blanket, in addition to closing the damaged area of the skin, also fixes and restricts the pet’s movements – this is necessary for a speedy recovery, otherwise the seams may disperse. The wound is treated every other day, and the blanket is changed as it becomes dirty.
It is not necessary to tighten the bandage ties too tightly, the finger should pass freely under the bandage. If you put a blanket on the cat and it can’t move around in it, most likely, the ties on the back are tied. After their weakening, the animal will be able to move freely.
The blanket can be removed for 10-12 days after the operation, but this is only if the tumor has subsided, the wound is already sufficiently healed and does not bleed. Whether or not you can remove the blanket will be more accurately told by the veterinarian. After removing the bandage, watch the pet’s behavior for a while. If the cat starts to lick the damaged area of the skin, then you need to re-put on the blanket and leave the cat in this state until the wound is completely closed.
Medical blanket is a universal tool for all Pets, especially in the postoperative period. You can’t do without a bandage if you want the cat to recover faster. You can buy it at a pharmacy, pet store, or sew it yourself.