Adult cats and kittens often want to play with wires. Such games are very dangerous, because the owner of the animal needs to monitor it. If the appliance can be repaired, the cat will suffer a lot. Wean it from a bad habit and learn how to help if the cat still gets an electric shock.
Why the cat is attracted to the wire
There are many reasons why wires from electrical appliances attract cats. First of all, this is an interesting subject for the game. What else makes a cat touch a moving wire:
- Itchy teeth
Milk teeth are replaced by molars. At this time, the kittens can be quite itchy gums, they begin to gnaw everything, including wires.
- Diseases of the oral cavity and plaque
Stomatitis, gingivitis, periodontal disease – diseases that require treatment. The cat may nibble on the wires to scratch and soothe aching gums. Also, cats try to clean plaque with wires.
If the cat has nothing to do and is often left alone, it can chew things. Wires are no exception.
- Lack of attention
If the owner of the house does not pay attention to the pet, then most likely the cat will want to attract it and do what is not allowed. For example, it will start biting the wires from the TV when you watch it.
- Lack of nutrients in the body
The lack of aluminum or copper in the cat’s body provokes strange food cravings. Wires can be an attractive snack.
We teach you to chew the wires
Definitely, you can’t beat a cat for these tricks. Cats are very touchy and your brute force will be remembered for a long time, and on occasion will take revenge. Stop the attempt on the wires calmly and methodically.
First, the wires can be saved if you take simple measures:
- cable channels in the form of closed profiles on the wall will reliably hide the wires;
- secure the wires to the wall with tape at least 50 cm high;
- wrap them with double sided sticky tape, which is likely the cat is not to your taste;
- from a curious kitten, wrap it in foil – it crunches terribly;
- remove all unused extension cords.
Secondly, to wean the cat from the love of wires, there are home and purchased tools. Look for them in veterinary pharmacies or stores with products for animals (sprays such as anti-Gnawing). There are budget and expensive sprays. These products are safe for cats and for people, they do not leave traces.
- citrus oil – gives off a pleasant aroma that cats can’t stand. Lubricate them leads or put them in the vicinity of peel from citrus. When the smell fades, replace it;
- the juice of aloe, garlic or onion, as well as mustard – bitter taste. The cat will be deterred from the wires, but you will have to suffer a strong smell;
- a compressed air tank – keep it nearby. When the pet starts to chew on the wires, come and squirt. Usually animals are afraid of this. The cat will understand the cause-and-effect relationship.
Psychological influence is an effective method of weaning. You will see that the cat is going to the wires or is already biting them – make a loud sound. Clap your hands, slap your hand on the table, or call out sternly to your pet. He must realize that the unpleasant noise followed by the forbidden action.
So that the cat does not play with wires, offer him other toys. If you have a craving for long strings, then let them play with laces or ribbons. And spend more time with your pet, saving it from boredom.
To make up for the lack of nutrients in the body, choose vitamins for the animal, after consulting with a veterinarian. Adjust the diet if the above methods of weaning did not help, and the cat stubbornly climbs to the wires. Offer grass and fresh herbs, special chewable bones.
How to help an animal with an electric shock
If you can’t teach your pet to chew the wires, and the cat has an electrical injury, then immediately provide first aid.
Signs of electric shock:
- pale or cyanotic mucous membranes;
- slow heart rate;
- shortness of breath;
- damage to the skin.
First, don’t panic. Do not take an animal lying motionless in your arms – if you do this with your bare hands, you will get an electric injury. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet using a handy tool. You can only do this with your hand if you wear a glove! If you can’t pull it out, then drop the wire from the cat.
A veterinarian will pump your pet faster and more efficiently. But if you wait for it too long, and the cat is badly injured, then act on your own.
First aid for electrocuting an unconscious cat:
- it is necessary to raise the animal in the pelvic area in order to ensure blood flow to the brain, while the hind legs of the pet should be above the level of the head;
- if the cat does not Wake up after 15 minutes, it needs to perform artificial respiration, while placing the animal on the right side. The air must be exhaled into the cat’s nose – each exhalation lasts about 5 seconds. In this case, the cat must exhale the air itself. You also need to do a heart massage, pressing about 100 times a minute on the chest. The movements should be as if you are lifting the ribs to the neck;
- when the cat wakes up, calm it down and give it a drink of water. If there are burns on the skin, apply any suitable ointment.
To avoid serious injuries and damage to the nervous system, make sure that the cat stays away from the wires!
Do not back down if you can’t teach your pet to chew the wires right away. Be patient and take a comprehensive approach – for example, adjust your diet, buy a lot of toys, and insulate the wires. Over time, the cat will understand that it is not interesting to chew the wires and is fraught with punishment.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.