In medicine, bad breath is called haliotosis. It’s not just people who face this problem. Dog owners also often notice that the pet has a very bad breath. The phenomenon may be temporary, due to the use of food with appropriate flavors or poor quality. But halitosis can be a serious causes that require intervention of a specialist. You need to know the factors that cause this pathology, as well as the actions that need to be taken to eliminate it and prevention measures to prevent the problem.
Diseases that cause galiotos in dogs
Bad smell from the dog’s mouth can trigger the following factors:
- The presence of dental diseases. Stinky odors may indicate the presence of caries that destroys teeth, or a stone that develops colonies of pathogenic bacteria. They appear in glossitis, stomatitis, gum diseases. Often this phenomenon is observed in puppies during the period of tooth replacement. Not yet fallen milk molars are destroyed, which causes an unpleasant smell. This pathology is often observed in dogs in old age, when the condition of teeth and gums deteriorates significantly due to natural causes.
- Inflammatory diseases of the nasopharynx. An unpleasant smell accompanies infectious processes occurring in the area of the throat, maxillary sinuses. It appears in tonsillitis, laryngitis, sinusitis.
- Diabetes mellitus. In this disease, there is an intense smell of acetone. It can also indicate a violation of the balance of carbohydrates.
- Diseases of the digestive tract, biliary tract, liver. Bad smell can provoke various diseases: intestinal dysbiosis, colitis, gastritis, cirrhosis, gall bladder dyskinesia, liver necrosis.
- Malignant tumors in the digestive organs, pharynx, and oral cavity. In cancer, a rotten, sweet smell appears.
- Abnormalities in the genitourinary system. The dog’s mouth may smell of urine. This is a consequence of pathologies in the genitourinary organs: urolithiasis, pyelonephritis, etc.
Any of these signs is a signal for a visit to a veterinary clinic, passing a full examination.
Natural causes of unpleasant odors
An unpleasant smell from the mouth of an animal does not always indicate the presence of diseases. There are also natural causes that do not require treatment:
- The consumption of contaminated food. An unpleasant smell is sure to appear if a pet during a walk eats excrement, some carrion, a rotten bone thrown by another dog. Such a violation is not called halitosis, as it is quick naturally.
- Incorrect feeding. Bad smell is observed in dogs with violations of the diet. In most cases, this problem occurs if the menu of the dog has a lot of protein food, there are no products containing carbohydrates.
- Poor or no oral hygiene. In the process of chewing food between the teeth, there may be pieces of food that rot, which causes an unpleasant smell.
These reasons do not require veterinary examinations. The owner needs to carefully observe the dog on a walk, follow the rules of the dog’s diet, pay attention to oral hygiene.
Elimination of unpleasant odors
If such a problem occurs, you need to carefully observe the pet. If there are signs of any malaise, you should contact a veterinary clinic. A full examination will help to determine the cause galiotos, to pick up effective treatment. Eliminating the cause will also eliminate the unpleasant smell. You do not need to try to make a diagnosis yourself, or use medications without a doctor’s appointment. This will only lead to negative consequences, the development of the disease, deterioration of the condition.
If there is an unpleasant smell from the dog’s mouth, the absence of pronounced symptoms of diseases of internal organs, you should carefully examine the teeth and gums. If you have a reduced appetite, redness of the gingival tissues, or blackened, loose teeth, you should visit a veterinary dentist. Professional ultrasonic cleaning, treatment of caries, gingivitis will help to eliminate the problem. Elimination of dental diseases allows not only to protect teeth, but also to prevent the appearance of diseases of the digestive tract, which are the result of pathologies of the dental system.
The causes halitosis is often a long, complex process. Dog owners should pay attention to prevention and reduce the risk of such problems. The main rules are:
- regular professional checkups;
- compliance with hygiene rules;
- a balanced diet.
Every dog owner knows that it is necessary to periodically show the pet to the veterinarian, to make timely vaccinations. However, regular visits to the veterinary dentist are also mandatory. The health of the entire body directly depends on the health of the gums and teeth. Stone, caries, gingivitis lead not only to the destruction of the elements of the jaw, but also to infectious diseases of the internal organs.
Not all dog owners consider hygiene procedures mandatory. In fact, they are the main prevention for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. The enamel is constantly formed plaque. If it is not removed regularly, then Tartar appears, which is a favorable environment for pathogens. Now in pet stores there are special toothbrushes, pastes for dogs. You can use a bandage, wrap your finger with it, and clean the enamel from plaque. This procedure should be performed every week.
The dog’s teeth should be regularly cleaned of plaque in a natural way. For this you need to include in the menu for dogs cereals and vegetables, rawhide, etc. Perfectly eliminate plaque from the enamel of the bones, which are a favorite treat for the dog. You should also use special cleaning items offered in pet stores. Experienced dog breeders recommend including tomatoes or their juice in your pet’s diet. By adding them to food, you can eliminate the appearance of Tartar.
Please note that it is impossible to get rid of serious dental problems at home. If the plaque has hardened, a stone has appeared, it will not be possible to eliminate it by cleaning. For high-quality cleaning, a professional ultrasound procedure is required, which is performed in all reputable veterinary clinics.
Nutrition plays an important role in prevention. Problems with teeth and gums occur with a monotonous diet, the use of low-quality, spoiled products. The dog should have a varied menu of natural products, including not only meat, but also porridge, vegetables, and fermented milk products. The food must contain sufficient amounts of calcium, phosphorus, vitamins C, A, D, and B. you can use ready-made premium food in feeding. This product has a balanced composition. The use of dry food guarantees high-quality enamel cleaning, reduces the risk of tooth and gum diseases.
Hi, my name is Mike Fletcher. I am 36 years old and I’m a veterinarian at a veterinary clinic in Granby Colorado. And this is my blog about Pets. I hope I can answer your questions here.